RTV 500 Rattling Front Brakes

/ RTV 500 Rattling Front Brakes #1  

kubotacres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560 HST
I've had enough... I'm curious if I'm the only one with a 500 that rattles like crazy from loose front brake pads. Every bump sounds like a jar of coins. This was noted when I brought it in for recall work and the dealer said it was fine. However If nobody else is experiencing this, then maybe I'm missing some sort of rubber isolator. My 500 is about 1 1/2 years old with 165 hours, and it's rattled from day 1. Either way when the weather clears, I'm gonna fix it with shims or something.. It's driving me nuts.

/ RTV 500 Rattling Front Brakes #2  
I've had my RTV500 for 7 years and never heard a rattle sound from anywhere. It's got over 400 hours and has been quiet except for that pesky alternator noise when idling. Sounds like something missing from the pads when it was built.

/ RTV 500 Rattling Front Brakes
I've had my RTV500 for 7 years and never heard a rattle sound from anywhere. It's got over 400 hours and has been quiet except for that pesky alternator noise when idling. Sounds like something missing from the pads when it was built.
Guess I'll have to tear it down and take a look when the weather clears.

Guess I'll have to tear it down and take a look when the weather clears.
Took off the front wheel and found out the issue. The brake pad pins are smaller than the mount holes. This is allowing the pads to bounce around as I drive.I have no way knowing if this is normal unless I get a chance to swing by the dealership and check out a few rtvs. Both sides of the pads are the same as well and both front wheels. Any suggestions?

I also looked at a set of new pads online and the holes seem to be the same.

View attachment 477568

/ RTV 500 Rattling Front Brakes #6  
I looked at my service manual and the pins that the pads are on are called coated screws, I can only assume that there is a rubber coating on the pins? Maybe yours aren't coated since you stated its rattled since new, just a thought.

I looked at my service manual and the pins that the pads are on are called coated screws, I can only assume that there is a rubber coating on the pins? Maybe yours aren't coated since you stated its rattled since new, just a thought.
I think by coated it's probably Teflon to keep the pads from sticking. Most pads I've installed over the years included the anti-rattle clips. I wonder if I'm missing those?

/ RTV 500 Rattling Front Brakes #8  
I looked at my service manual again, cannot find a picture of just the pads went online and can't a picture there either, to see if there are clips on the pad. I don't know what would keep it from rattling other than the clips. If you pull the pad off take a picture of it so we will know what it looks like, thanks in advance.