RTV or Tractor

/ RTV or Tractor #61  
soundguy, I figure they make so much more money up there that the prices are really the same adjusted for cost of living and income.:(

that very well could be.

and if so, that means someone int he NE or similar areas can road trip south and get a killer deal.. whereas someone down her heading north might not get as good a 'deal'

soundguy

/ RTV or Tractor #62  
Well first, as a young man, I was homeless and would loved to have had anything. I am now in my sixties, so I have finally accumulated a few things though some are pretty old. As I said in previous posts, there have been times when my options were very limited. At one point my "equipment" consisted of a Poulan chain saw borrowed from my brother and a pair of Red Wing work boots; no tractor, ATV or even a pickup. My first acquisition was a used ATV to use in our woods and on our property. We had owned a tractor when my brother and I were farming, but had to sell it. After several years, my brother and I were able to get another tractor, a well used NAA for $1800; we still have it.

Like I have said, I have been with and without, so I base my advice and opinion on my experience when I had to make such choices. I don't understand why you are offended or are taking this so personally as I have always found your posts interesting and informative.

I agree with all that the more equipment owned and tried would better qualify some, including myself, to have a better perspective and opinion in many cases. The "sifting" statement, no matter how harmlessly meant, hit me the wrong way. Perhaps I took it the wrong way. I hope so.

/ RTV or Tractor #63  
Cutting poison oak / ivy is nasty. Wear a face mask, long sleeves, long pants, gloves, a hat, etc. Cover every exposed inch of skin. Then toss the clothes after your done. You will have to do some fancy cleaning on the equipment to get the ruchiol (sp?) oil off or you can get the rash from it weeks, months or even a year later.

I agree that for those who are extremely sensitive to urushiol (the irritating oil from poison oak and poison ivy) should not cut or be near the plant cuttings. I recall my mother telling of people contracting the rash when the oil travelled with smoke from burning brush.
I am allergic to the oil but not to that extent. Fortunately, a flail mower doesn't throw material to the degree of a rotary mower. I am careful to wear gloves and not touch my face or eyes. Washing my work clothes with normal laundry detergent has worked in removing the oil, even after walking through beds of poison ivy.
If someone knows they are very sensitive to urushiol I would not suggest they take unnecessary chances. Working in the woods should be enjoyable, not a gamble. If a person is not sure of their allergies then it is best to ere on the side of caution and not get near the plants.
By the way, if virtualanne hopes to use goats and pigs to clear the woods, they will also have to be careful when handling the animals!

/ RTV or Tractor #64  
You need both: new UTV, old tractor. Under $6K will buy a serviceable loader-tractor good for 100 hours per year.

/ RTV or Tractor #65  
I think RTV's are nice but there is no way this tightwad is going to buy a new one.:D

Small tractors with the proper implements are very usefull machines, using a carryall and front bucket will allow you to carry as much as most RTVs'. On a small acreage if you want to get some work done get a tractor with the right implements. If you want to ride around get a four wheeler or Gator, Mule etc.

/ RTV or Tractor #66  
I have found it is hard to go wrong buying a basic used tractor for little money if you or someone you know can check it out as does it start run stop and lift because if it does not meet one's need you can sell it for about what you paid for it and try something different when you have the money.

If $$$ is a concern I would vote for a smaller tractor with a box blade. Dad built a box to fit on the box to got to the woods with saws, etc and found an old fork type 3PH round bale lift and built a platform for it and could also haul a lot on it.

Due to the hot selling CUT's little Fords/Fergusons can be found for $2000 that will run and work. A Ford 600/800 series have live lifts and 50 years ago were as prized as a 150 HP tractor today.:D

$5000 can set one up pretty well equipment wise if $$$ management is important to one. This has NOTHING to do with one's wealth. Some just are not going to spend $50K for equipment that gets used 40-50 hours a year.

With the coming of inflation functional older equipment will hold or gain in value.

From experience if one wants a FEL and can find it on a 5 speed Ford 800 series the 3rd/reverse set up is as fast/easy shifting NON shuttle transmission as I have ever experience. This is a fairly heavy +/- 40 HP farm tractor from 50+ years ago. Some of the 5 speeds had the double clutch set up which is great if you use a bush hog, etc.

/ RTV or Tractor #67  
Lots of good advice, too bad the OP has never bothered to come back.

/ RTV or Tractor #68  
Lots of good advice, too bad the OP has never bothered to come back.
Actually the OP posted twice in this thread after her original post ...... and the only thing that is really known for sure is that she has failed to comment any further after that ....

It's possible that she may be subscribed to the thread and seeing every post made via email ..... :D

.... or she and her hubby may be busy - out looking at tractors or UTV's .... ;)

/ RTV or Tractor #69  
Or they might be too busy riding a new UTV or grading a road with a new CUT...

If only they would come back and let us know :(

/ RTV or Tractor #70  
Actually the OP posted twice in this thread after her original post ...... and the only thing that is really known for sure is that she has failed to comment any further after that ....

It's possible that she may be subscribed to the thread and seeing every post made via email ..... :D

.... or she and her hubby may be busy - out looking at tractors or UTV's .... ;)

Last Activity: 10-18-2010 09:53 AM

She may have subscribed, but personally I think it sucks when people spend a lot of time giving thoughtful, helpful answers and the OP never even gives a thanks or an update. Anytime I have solicited help on this board I have been very grateful for the individuals that take time to help me out and express that to them. I just think that's common courtesy. :) Sorry for the threadjack.