Rtv Range Select

/ Rtv Range Select #1  

whoodle

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 110tlb, rtv900.
I have now put in a day of woods/trail maintenence with my new worksite, and the range selector is maddening. First, the turning radius is something like 24 feet so tight turns in the woods is tough, but threepoint turns are torture when the tranny will not get out of reverse or low. Dargo, did you ever work out your shifting? I demoed a unit with 95 hours on it on my property, and it was sticky also, but I think the new one is worse. I know this subject has come up before, but I did not note a substantive solution.

/ Rtv Range Select
I seem to have forgotten the tranny fluid change. That really allowed those gears to release? I specifically asked the salesman if the fluid had been changed on the demo, because I had read that former post. He claimed the 50 hour service had been done, but it was still pretty tough. I assume, Dargo, that you still have to pause to disengage, but then does it release 99% of the time?

/ Rtv Range Select #3  
Yes, I was the loudest complainer about my RTV sticking in gear. At one point, I was ready to physically rip the gear select lever off to prove my point. Instead, I got the schematic breakdown of their transmission and came up with my own idea since Kuobta seemed to not know how to fix it.

At just over 20 hours I changed the transmission filter with Kubota Super UDT fluid and changed both filters. I made sure to clean the magnet on the drain plug as well. That had an immediate change! I no longer had any trouble. I'm now reaching 50 hours and it is again beginning to stick some again. I plan on leaning on Kubota to pay for the fluid and filter change for me.

Apparently during break-in, the transmssion filters become clogged and causes some pressure to be on the gears. That results in the RTV sticking in gear. Mine is not really bad now, but I think I will change it one more time. That should cover it. It should work for you. I had one of the worst sticking transmissions, and it cured mine. Good luck! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

/ Rtv Range Select
I have about five hours now. What are your thoughts on just changing the filters and topping up the fluid? Is it five gallons of super udt?

/ Rtv Range Select #5  
I'd definiely do it. In retrospect, I'd taken it in to the dealer and had them do it. It should be covered under warranty. Even though it is a maintenance item, it shouldn't be needed for another 45 hours for you. At that time, it is likely that you will have to do it again. My guess is that the 2nd change will do the trick. The filters are good, and trap even the smallest particle and easily become plugged. Right now that is bothersome, but later down the road, I'm sure I'll appreciate the good filters.

I don't know if the Super UDT made any difference over the regular Kubota UDT, but it worked so well for me, that is what I'll use at the 50 hour "scheduled" change. Good luck! That ought to fix it!

/ Rtv Range Select #6  
Changing the fluid in the transmission takes 2.6 gallons of fluid according to Kubota specs. I put 2.6 gallons in and it looks a little over the high mark on the dipstick so I would think 2.5 gallons would be enough and Kubota sells a 2.5 gallon container of Super UDT.

I had written to Kubota tech services when I first got my RTV900 to ask what fluids they use at the factory. The transmission comes with Super UDT already installed. The engine comes with 10W-30 installed.

/ Rtv Range Select #7  
Mine too was a sticking nightmare. As I approached the 50 hour mark it got better. Then after the fluid change its perfect.. Not any sticking problems anymore. Give your a lil time and fluid change..

Frank

/ Rtv Range Select #8  
I would not jump to do this too quicly. Changing the fluids on a machine with low hours does not make much sense. Its already filled with Super UDT, why refill it again. If your shifting is tough give it some time to break in and then change the fluids. Also, some difficulty is normal. If you have the new style damper you need to give it the time for the pedal to return to nutral. If thats not working out then look at messing with the damper.

/ Rtv Range Select #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would not jump to do this too quicly. Changing the fluids on a machine with low hours does not make much sense. Its already filled with Super UDT, why refill it again. If your shifting is tough give it some time to break in and then change the fluids. Also, some difficulty is normal. If you have the new style damper you need to give it the time for the pedal to return to nutral. If thats not working out then look at messing with the damper. )</font>

I agree...you need to give it some more time to break-in. I bet you have the new style speed control lever and you need to give it time to return to neutral (approx. 7 seconds) after coming to a complete stop...if that doesn't help, look at the damper on the speed control lever and see if it stuck or something i.e. not returning all the way back to the neutral position in a timely manner. If it does not return to neutral within 15 seconds, it may need to be replaced. If in doubt, have your dealer check this operation for you.

What is the serial number of your RTV? Any RTV S/N 24092 or greater has the new style speed control lever.

/ Rtv Range Select #10  
whoodle,

Are you on flat ground or on a hill when you try to change gears? If on a hill, have you tried the emergency brake trick?

Brian