RTV500 - Decrease Tire PSI for Mud?

/ RTV500 - Decrease Tire PSI for Mud? #1  

jcombs

Tractor
Kubota L3200
I finally purchased my RTV500 and am very happy with it. I have, however, been somewhat disappointed in its performance on a muddy hill by my house. It seems to have more problems (in 4wd with the atv tires) on that hill than my 2wd ATV does.

I was hoping to get some advice from other RTV500 owners. Should I decrease the tire pressure to something less than the 14psi recommended in the manual? I'd like to find a good compromise. I'll be driving on dirt paths/roads, in my yard, my gravel driveway, and on occasionally on pavement for short distances (usually just a few hundred feet, although possibly up to a mile from time to time).

/ RTV500 - Decrease Tire PSI for Mud? #2  
Its twice as heavy and a bit longer than an ATV if not, more. I buried my RTV 500 in a muck hole that my 350 Rancher just zips accross.

It happened in a creek where the Roosevelt Elk pulverize the mud; it is belly-deep on an elk....:confused2:

I don't believe less pressure helps except in sandy conditions, more air helps where floatation would.

No offense, but is it a certainty that the RTV differential is locked and or working properly?

My RTV also buries on sharp up-hill turns in the deep mulch when I'm
in the reprod, the Rancher just zips right through that stuff too.

The weight and longer wheel base divides the axles between obstacles so I try to keep the equipment moving straight until I clear them.

/ RTV500 - Decrease Tire PSI for Mud?
Thanks for the response. I believe the differential lock is working properly, but I'll pay more attention next time.

I suspect that I'm just trying to adjust to the RTV. I've rode ATVs for years, and its taking some time to get use to the feel of the heavier, bigger RTV.

/ RTV500 - Decrease Tire PSI for Mud? #4  
These RTV's aren't great for off road adventures. They are way underpowered. If it had more power, I'd suspect you'd be able to get through that muddy spot. I like my 500 and I also hate it. (love hate relationship) I've had it for 6 months and only have 18 hours on it. That shows you how much I use it. Basically good for hauling stuff around and that's it.

/ RTV500 - Decrease Tire PSI for Mud? #5  
These RTV's aren't great for off road adventures. They are way underpowered. If it had more power, I'd suspect you'd be able to get through that muddy spot. I like my 500 and I also hate it. (love hate relationship) I've had it for 6 months and only have 18 hours on it. That shows you how much I use it. Basically good for hauling stuff around and that's it.

Have you adjusted the RPMS and servo? My RTV 500 doesn't lack for power at all since I've adjusted my RPMS up to 4k and backed out my servo screw, it's not fast top end but it's got plenty of power to get through mud and it will climb dang near anything. :thumbsup:

/ RTV500 - Decrease Tire PSI for Mud? #6  
Have you adjusted the RPMS and servo? My RTV 500 doesn't lack for power at all since I've adjusted my RPMS up to 4k and backed out my servo screw, it's not fast top end but it's got plenty of power to get through mud and it will climb dang near anything. :thumbsup:

I haven't done it yet. I need to get a timing light I thought in order to do it correctly or so I thought. I should get to doing this, maybe it will change my attitude towards the machine. Course, I'm no mechanic and never used a timing light.

/ RTV500 - Decrease Tire PSI for Mud? #7  
Let the air down to 10 lbs and you will think you have a couple extra wheels pulling. Mine is 8 years old and it is run on steep mountains and it will go just about anywhere i take it with 10 lbs of air. With the tires at recomended pressure it wont do squat in mud or loose rock. I have never had a tire come off the rim and i have hauled tons of stuuf up the mountain with it. As far as power it will climb a tree in low range but lacks power in med and high is only good on the road.

/ RTV500 - Decrease Tire PSI for Mud? #8  
I haven't done it yet. I need to get a timing light I thought in order to do it correctly or so I thought. I should get to doing this, maybe it will change my attitude towards the machine. Course, I'm no mechanic and never used a timing light.

You won't really need a timing light it was just the easiest way to get a tach hook up.....the timing light with inductive pickup tach works great. Somebody on the board found a tach with an inductive hookup also....I'm not sure what brand it was or if it was any cheaper.:confused:

I ended up going with this timing light and it worked great, locally it was $145 instead of $100 though:(
Amazon.com: Equus 5568 Pro-Timing Light with Tool Case: Automotive

/ RTV500 - Decrease Tire PSI for Mud? #9  
You won't really need a timing light it was just the easiest way to get a tach hook up.....the timing light with inductive pickup tach works great. Somebody on the board found a tach with an inductive hookup also....I'm not sure what brand it was or if it was any cheaper.:confused:

I ended up going with this timing light and it worked great, locally it was $145 instead of $100 though:(
Amazon.com: Equus 5568 Pro-Timing Light with Tool Case: Automotive

I used bought a Sears Professional timing light with digital tach..Worked perfect on the 500 once you figure out which plug wire reads the best...

/ RTV500 - Decrease Tire PSI for Mud? #10  
Somebody on the board found a tach with an inductive hookup also....I'm not sure what brand it was or if it was any cheaper.:confused:

About 80 bucks:D

The factory wasn't too helpful when I called so I'd rather just PM the make n model if anyone wants it.

Thats good info on the tire pressure and servo adj, thanks.