Ruger Blackhawk

/ Ruger Blackhawk #11  
I have a Blackhawk with the 10.5 inch barrel in .44 magnum. Had it about 20 years. It is a very nice handgun.
Take a good look at the Vaquero. It is basically a Blackhawk with a Bisley grip. Heft both before you make a decision.

/ Ruger Blackhawk #12  
I have 2 Blackhawks. One is an older three screw .357 and the newer on is a .38-40/10mm auto conversion. The .38-40 to companion a Winchester Model 92 rifle I have and the 10mm auto Glock Model 20 I have. Great guns.

The only problem I have had was my fault. I bought some lead bullet reloads at a gun show and they leaded the barrel like crazy. Took me a long time to get it clean. I put the reloads on the shelf to be broken down later and reloaded with jacketed bullets or my own hard cast bullets. They also did a number on the Glock but I had shot fewer through it so cleaning wasn't as much of a problem.

Vernon

/ Ruger Blackhawk #13  
I Prefer the 44 mag Myself , As with the 357/38special , You can buy 44special ammo much cheaper then the 44 mag ammo for just plinking around , & save the good loads for Taking care of bizness . lol . I,d also suggest the vented rib version . The Rugers are All great guns though. IMO .

/ Ruger Blackhawk #14  
I have the 45 Colt/45 ACP model with a 4 5/8" barrel. It shoots better than I can along with the usual Ruger durability. It wears a pair of "double cut" grips for that Matt Dillon effect.

/ Ruger Blackhawk #15  
how do the convertibles work. i see they have a different cylinder to hold the loads.

but what about the barrel?

a .357 (if i take that to be the bullet diam) *25.4 (mm in an inch) = 9.525 mm

.5 mm sounds huge when it comes to fitting a bullet down a barrel (i assume the barrel is built to accommodate the larger of the 2 rounds)

/ Ruger Blackhawk #16  
It's nice to know that most of the tractor nuts are gun nuts too, must be the country air and pioneer DIY spirit, it's what built America.

You can never go wrong with a RUGER, no matter the Model or caliber. Out of the dozen or so Ruger rifles and hand guns I only had one that had repair/recall issues with. That was a heat treat issue with the very first generation Mini 14 SS. Sent it back to Ruger for the recall work ,had it back in less than 2 weeks. Thousands of rounds later, just clean it oil it and abuse it and it runs flawlessly.

/ Ruger Blackhawk #17  
   / Ruger Blackhawk #18  
schmism said:
how do the convertibles work. i see they have a different cylinder to hold the loads.

but what about the barrel?

a .357 (if i take that to be the bullet diam) *25.4 (mm in an inch) = 9.525 mm

.5 mm sounds huge when it comes to fitting a bullet down a barrel (i assume the barrel is built to accommodate the larger of the 2 rounds)

Schism, have not reloaded for more than a few years now, but my recollection is that .357" is the dia of a .38/357 jacketed bullet and .355" is dia of 9mm jacketed bullet.

RavensRoost

/ Ruger Blackhawk #19  
We've had many Blackhawks in my family.....

Grandpa had a beautiful 7.5" SuperB and it had a finish I've never seen since......he paid extra for the "mirror" finish......it got stolen in a home break in..sad day for our family.....it had been with us for a long time

Dad blew up two.....one 7.5" and one 11.5" one........they were nice pistols.......it was his fault, for some reason he thought he could make a .44 more powerful:rolleyes: not the brightest thing he's ever done....

I had one of the stainless Vaquero in a shorter barrel in a 357.......very nice pistol..but i like .44 and a longer barrel

I traded the 357 in on a .44 (.44 has just been legendary in my family)......i got it in a vaquero with rosewood grips......i really like this pistol.....i can't hit the broad side of a bar with it but i really like it....

as has been said, they are all good guns.......pick your caliber and pick your color......the hardest part is shelling out the $$$:D

/ Ruger Blackhawk #20  
I have a Blackhawk in 44 mag and the Ruger Deerfield rifle in the same caliber. Now that is a good combination.