runaway or not on ck30

/ runaway or not on ck30 #1  

c23380

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 ck30
yesterday took the ck for a ride to look at cows with my daughter. pulled slightly downhill and shut it down. Talked about cows for a few minutes then tried to start. Rotation and no fire. Opened the hood and lisened for the fuel solenoid. Good. Looked at filter, no issues. Flicked the manual shut off a few times and is started right up. Back to the house and shut it down. Today it started fine and run good while mowing and shut it down for supper and when I restarted it would spin but not fire. Flicked the manual shut off and turned the bleeder on the fuel bowl to air and nothing. About to give up and it hit once, then twice the she began to run..........wide open. Throttle at idle and saw linkage at min stop but it run wide open. Only way to shut it down was to choke it off with my hand. Never knocked but lots of smoke. Figure it might be that I had oil soaked the combustion chamber, so I let it sit a few hours and atempted another start. Same as before. Wide open till I choked it off. (10-20 seconds both times) I have injector pump issues huh???

/ runaway or not on ck30 #3  
Sound exactly the way mine behaved when the injector pump failed. I wouldn't start it again until you get that fixed.

/ runaway or not on ck30 #4  
Sounds like the rack is stuck to me. unless you knw the innards of that injector.. I'd winch the tractor up on a trailer and drop it to the mechanic so he can have the pump rebuilt then get her back installed inthe correct timeing.

choke plate and or fuel cutoff ( at tank ) or pulling / loosening fuel line at injector pump should kill it. in fact.. line at injector pump should kill it darn fast...

smoking while you choke it down is normal. lots of fuel and little air. kinda like a plugged air filter.. etc.

soundguy

/ runaway or not on ck30
Just found time to chat with a dealer and they said they have never heard of this issue but want to take a look. Guess I will be loading up the trailer and takin it for a ride.

/ runaway or not on ck30 #6  
I find it hard to believe they have never heard of a runaway diesel condition. sounds like cheap sandwich meat to me. :)

soundguy

/ runaway or not on ck30 #7  
Never heard of this issue? Really? It's a well known problem with certain model year CK's. Most are lasting around 300 hours or so and then failing. So, either your dealer is really uninformed or is just playing dumb. Not a cheap fix. Something like $1500 if the dealer replaces it. Some who were out of warranty just had the pump rebuilt to save some money.

Personally, given that it's a known mfr defect, I think that Kioti should make good on it, under warranty or not. In fact, there are cases where they have. So if you are not under warranty, I'd still inquire about help from mother K.

Good luck, and again, I wouldn't start it until you get it fixed. Those high RPMs are not good for it.

/ runaway or not on ck30
I agree about the RPMs. I am going to talk to the dealer face to face today. Over the phone I did not get a good impression, but we will see. I guess I am worried that they will try to crank it and verify the issue and REALLY cause more issues. I am under Warranty but if they overspeed it and cause more dammage, then what? More to come, I will keep posting. Thanks, to all.

/ runaway or not on ck30 #9  
It sure does sound like the rack is stuck in the injector pump and others have posted the same thing with their CK30s. The older ones had the problem but you list yours as a 2008 model. I think Kioti had changed the problem parts by then in the pumps. One of the dealers here would know the model years better.

I'm sure they will start it to see what it's doing but they should be ready to kill it from what you explained to them. If they blow the engine, then they should be responsible to replace it.

/ runaway or not on ck30
Talked with the dealer today, face to face, and I was releived. He said there was an issue with the older ones and he has serviced 3 so far, on with 400 hrs, one with 150 and one with 4 hrs. I have alot more confidence now. Think I was talkin to parts before. I will have to say it was a good experience. I will deliver it to him this weekend.