3-Point Hitch Running a Wallenstein chipper on a Kubota BX-series SCUT

/ Running a Wallenstein chipper on a Kubota BX-series SCUT #1  

ayelvington

Gold Member
Tractor
BX24
I run a Wallenstein BX42 chipper on my Kubota BX-24. Two things make this a lot easier:

1. I have a quick-hitch. No messing with the swing arms or the like. I just back up, hook up, connect the PTO, and drive away.

2. I use a felling-wedge to bypass the seat interlock so that I can get off the tractor to work with the chipper. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-CUIGMO31w

Using a felling wedge is simple, requires no messing with the factory wiring, and the bright orange wedge sticking out from under the flipped up seat makes it really obvious that something is there.

Just thought that I'd share since I got tired of pilling rocks on the seat so that I could use the chipper :laughing:

/ Running a Wallenstein chipper on a Kubota BX-series SCUT #2  
I used to have a zip tie on my seat switch when I had chipper on my old tractor. Could slide it over and it would hold the switch down, then just slide it back off to have the switch work as designed.
Hows the chipper work on a BX - can you chip at capacity with the BX?

Last edited:
   / Running a Wallenstein chipper on a Kubota BX-series SCUT #3  
???

I just park the tractor, select rear PTO, raise the seat, engage the PTO.

Are BX25D and BX24 different?

Bruce

/ Running a Wallenstein chipper on a Kubota BX-series SCUT #4  
I have a B2650 and did a bunch of chipping with a BX42 and didn't have to do anything with the seat. Do you guys set your park brake and put it into neutral?

As far as capacity goes, anything you could fit into the opening was no issue for the tractor, which was a concern when buying a tractor with less than 20 PTO HP. The BX25 should handle it just as well. So far I've run cedar, pine, spruce, maple, and elm through and was impressed with how well it worked.

/ Running a Wallenstein chipper on a Kubota BX-series SCUT #5  
On all Kubotas I have worked with, if you first flip the seat forward, you can engage the PTO without problems. It should be discussed in the owner's manual. Remember, these are tractors, they are made to run stuff from the PTO.

/ Running a Wallenstein chipper on a Kubota BX-series SCUT #6  
I have a B2650 and did a bunch of chipping with a BX42 and didn't have to do anything with the seat. Do you guys set your park brake and put it into neutral? As far as capacity goes, anything you could fit into the opening was no issue for the tractor, which was a concern when buying a tractor with less than 20 PTO HP. The BX25 should handle it just as well. So far I've run cedar, pine, spruce, maple, and elm through and was impressed with how well it worked.

Perhaps surprisingly, the BX25 has only about 2 less PTO hp than the B2650, so I guess that wood chipper should work OK on the BX 25?

Last edited:
   / Running a Wallenstein chipper on a Kubota BX-series SCUT #7  
I have a BX42 that I ran on my B2920 (21 HP PTO). The tractor was powerful enough most of the time, but would struggle once and a while with tough limbs. Now I run it on my L3200 (25 HP PTO), and the engine never even seems to notice.

/ Running a Wallenstein chipper on a Kubota BX-series SCUT #8  
Wouldn't think a BX25 would have any issue running a BX42 chipper, the display on the B2650 shows PTO RPM and even the bigger pieces only seemed to drag it down about 10- 20 RPM briefly. Given the BX25 is close to the same PTO power it should perform fairly close.

/ Running a Wallenstein chipper on a Kubota BX-series SCUT #9  
I always used a zip tie mainly because of working on all the hills. It seems that sometime U couldn't face the tractor downhill so the seat would often fall back killing the motor. for me it just made it easier.

/ Running a Wallenstein chipper on a Kubota BX-series SCUT #10  
I put my chipper on a dolly, makes hook up a breeze. I just wheel it over, connect the pot then the pins. Saves a ton of hassle and it's way easier to deal with the pot shaft that way.