Running Power to Rear of Truck for Dump Trailer, Winches, and Jumper Cables

/ Running Power to Rear of Truck for Dump Trailer, Winches, and Jumper Cables #1  

SLHawkins

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5403, International Harvester 584
There are already several threads on this topic; however, this is in response to GreatLakes37 request for pics. After getting stuck at the landfill on several occasions with a dead battery on my dump trailer, I figured there had to be something better.

Here is the kit I ordered from NAPA. It is a Warn Winch Accessory and can also be found at AW Direct. Or, you piece it all together a la carte.

NAPA AUTO PARTS

1st step was to hook into the upfitter switches already installed on the truck in order to cut the juice to the rear off and on. The kit comes with a on/off switch as well.

Aux Power Cable.jpgAux Power Cable (3).jpgAux Power Cable (5).jpg.

The yellow wire running along the firewall runs from the on/off switch to the solenoid.

/ Running Power to Rear of Truck for Dump Trailer, Winches, and Jumper Cables
2nd step:

Connect the cables to the battery and run then down along the fender well to the chassis where I had to place the solenoid. As you can see from the previous pictures, there is not any room whatsoever under the hood. On my '06, I was able to mount the solenoid on the sidewall next to the battery.

Aux Power Cable (7).jpgAux Power Cable (9).jpgAux Power Cable (11).jpg

3rd Step:

Mount the solenoid somewhere out of the way and somewhat protected from the elements. I chose to mount it on the chassis under the passenger door. Oh yeah, my truck is a 2012 F450. Choose whatever works for your make, model, year, and fabrication skills! I ran the cables along the chassis and used zip ties to secure it. Watch out for heat from the exhaust, places where it might be pinched, and areas where it may rub.

Aux Power Cable (13).jpgAux Power Cable (14).jpgAux Power Cable (15).jpgAux Power Cable (16).jpgAux Power Cable (17).jpg

/ Running Power to Rear of Truck for Dump Trailer, Winches, and Jumper Cables #4  
Is this in addition to the charge line that goes to the trailer?

Do you have a separate receptacle for this power line? It would be kinda cool to have a separate receptacle at the rear of the truck for tire pumps, 12v blender etc.

Aux Power Cable (4).jpgAux Power Cable (6).jpgAux Power Cable (8).jpgAux Power Cable (18).jpgAux Power Cable (2).jpg

The hardest part is figuring out how much cable to run out the rear of the truck. Too much, it'll drag. Too little, it won't reach the trailer. I also use this same cable to power the winch on my trailer and a set of jumper cables.

Another feature I find convenient is the remote control. I can raise and lower the body from the driver's seat, while I am headed back to the gate at the dump, or I can move the truck while raising/lower the body to spread the load. The control that I plug into the trailer still works too. I keep that as a back up. The pump can still run off the battery also in case I use the trailer with another vehicle.

Aux Power Cable (10).jpgAux Power Cable (12).jpg

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the kit only comes with one half of the quick disconnect. You'll need to get this part, along with a length of cable to run from the pump.

NAPA AUTO PARTS

Last edited:
Is this in addition to the charge line that goes to the trailer?

Do you have a separate receptacle for this power line? It would be kinda cool to have a separate receptacle at the rear of the truck for tire pumps, 12v blender etc.

I do not have that wire connected in the 7-post plug on the trailer. Pictures of the plug are on follow-on posts.

/ Running Power to Rear of Truck for Dump Trailer, Winches, and Jumper Cables #8  
Brought back a 1 1/2 yr old thread instead of starting a new one. I have been interested in running power from truck to dump trailer for some time and I think this is exactly what I had in mind. The napa site did not show details about the solenoid. I have purchased 4 gauge wire and connoectors to run from truck batt (Passenger side) to back of truck ('13 F250). But my "over thinking" tells me to protect the electronics of my new truck. I considered a relay which did not seem logical to hook a 4g wire to the small relay connection. Found this thread and it appears a solenoid is the answer to my concerns. I still have a couple of questions though:

1. What details do I need to buy the correct solenoid? Brand? Where to buy?
2. Is my thinking correct in that this will protect the electronics in my truck? If not, what will?

PS> 7 x 14 (14k) dump trailer. Power up only. 2013 Ford F250 Lariat (Diesel). Would like to use upfitter switch so as not to have constant power to rear of truck (I believe the solenoid provides for this). Appreciate any and all responses.

/ Running Power to Rear of Truck for Dump Trailer, Winches, and Jumper Cables #9  
Doesn't the truck have a full time heavy power outlet available at the trailer hitch?

/ Running Power to Rear of Truck for Dump Trailer, Winches, and Jumper Cables #10  
Brought back a 1 1/2 yr old thread instead of starting a new one. I have been interested in running power from truck to dump trailer for some time and I think this is exactly what I had in mind. The napa site did not show details about the solenoid. I have purchased 4 gauge wire and connoectors to run from truck batt (Passenger side) to back of truck ('13 F250). But my "over thinking" tells me to protect the electronics of my new truck. I considered a relay which did not seem logical to hook a 4g wire to the small relay connection. Found this thread and it appears a solenoid is the answer to my concerns. I still have a couple of questions though:

1. What details do I need to buy the correct solenoid? Brand? Where to buy?
2. Is my thinking correct in that this will protect the electronics in my truck? If not, what will?

PS> 7 x 14 (14k) dump trailer. Power up only. 2013 Ford F250 Lariat (Diesel). Would like to use upfitter switch so as not to have constant power to rear of truck (I believe the solenoid provides for this). Appreciate any and all responses.

you can get a continuous duty selenoid from a parts store. The small terminal would go to your switch.

You can get a two terminal plug from most parts stores, they are light blue in color and used on many snow plows. These also work great on a set of jumper cables.

You can also get heavy duty fuses, and a fuse holder that has 2 studs for mounting the fuse and your cables.

Dave