Running used steer tires on a heavy truck. Bad idea??

/ Running used steer tires on a heavy truck. Bad idea?? #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
My dump truck needs a steer tire. I’ve got a out of service fire truck with almost new Goodyear steer tires. I’m not wanting to run a retread, I’m not wanting to run a drive tire on a steer axel. I’m just wanting to swap the tires on a truck that doesn’t get used to a truck that does. One of my buddies that’s done a lot more heavy truck work than I have thinks it’s a terrible idea. I think it would be fine.

/ Running used steer tires on a heavy truck. Bad idea?? #2  
I don’t see the issue. You want to remove a worn out steer tire and replace it with an older but better tread steer tire to avoid buying a new tire or running a retread? Sounds fine.

/ Running used steer tires on a heavy truck. Bad idea??
I don’t know the age of either tire but the fire truck is garage kept so there’s no dry rot cracks in them.

Tell your buddy to buy you new tires.

He has new tires on his truck but it’s about $700 for something I already have.

/ Running used steer tires on a heavy truck. Bad idea?? #6  
He has new tires on his truck but it’s about $700 for something I already have.

I get that. He thinks swapping used tires to a truck you need is a bad idea, invite him to buy you the new ones.

If the tires you want to use are serviceable he is nuts.

I get that. He thinks swapping used tires to a truck you need is a bad idea, invite him to buy you the new ones.

If the tires you want to use are serviceable he is nuts.

That’s what I think. Almost new tread and no visible dry rot. They seem fine to me. They’re definitely better then the tires on my dump truck now.

/ Running used steer tires on a heavy truck. Bad idea?? #8  
What I would do is run the steer tire on one of the real dualies. That way it will see high higher pressure, some heat cycles and some tread wear. If it holds up for 100 - 200 miles, I would judge it good to go to the front. If the tread separates or sidewall or bead blows, it should be less catastrophic.

/ Running used steer tires on a heavy truck. Bad idea?? #9  
What I would do is run the steer tire on one of the real dualies. That way it will see high higher pressure, some heat cycles and some tread wear. If it holds up for 100 - 200 miles, I would judge it good to go to the front. If the tread separates or sidewall or bead blows, it should be less catastrophic.

I kinda like that.

The fire truck tires are slightly bigger than the dump truck tires. I really should swap them all 6 but that’s a lot of work and I already put 2 on the back of the dump truck.