Rural Electricity

/ Rural Electricity
Lil' Paul;

No visions of disconnect. If my own memory serves me, I think you do have it right. It's been years since I looked at alternative energy sources (back while waiting in the gas lines of the late 70's). Have been looking on and off at generators for years, but never acted. I see fuel cells as a candidate solution. But like all decisions, I tend to take my time (shopped for my tractor for 3 years). When GE actually comes out with the MicroGen, I'll have to do a payback analysis at that time. I love to have choices! Then again… Solarex (maker of solar cells) is not far from me (they have a solar-powered manufacturing plant). Maybe I could run a cable a few miles and tap into them. Think they would notice?

/ Rural Electricity #22  
I talked to an alternative power company in Quebec several months ago. Their systems are solar/battery/inverter types.

The guy said his business was supplying systems to remote locations, and if there is electricity already on a property, you'll never get your money back. The initial investment is high, and solar cells don't last indefinitely. I just got an estimate from our utility of $1000CAN for installing and inspecting one pole, not including line. At that rate, I guess you wouldn't have to be very remote before solar, or even a gas generator would, look a lot better.

Maybe new fuel cell technology will change the economics, at least until mass usage drives up the price of propane. I'm not thinking about life off the grid either.

Then on the other hand, I read a news story that said that dung from one elephant can supply the energy needs of a family in Thailand. However, the digesters and methane generators are a bit pricey. I believe the energy needs were mostly cooking fuel, and they were burning methane rather than using it to power fuel cells.

Not to detract from a serious subject, but maybe I could get an elephant, power the house and even increase heating efficiency by putting an air-to-air heat exchanger on the elephant shed. And, I could stop worrying about flipping the tractor by lifting things on the 3ph. Actually, I suppose power from methane might be an emerging alternative for somebody with cattle.

/ Rural Electricity
I like that. Another economic advantage is that we can get rid of the tractor, and use the elephant. Now I wonder what the HP of a typical adult male elephant is, and what attachments are available? Do you think the tusk and trunk models can be adapted for 3-pt. implements? What Cat would that be? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif