Rural Living Entertainment

/ Rural Living Entertainment #1  

UnseenEye

Tractor
Kubota M7040
I currently live in very rural area of Texas, with very little access to internet at dial-up speeds. I'm trying to find a cheap way to provide some entertainment for my younger kids. If anyone one has ideas I would love any suggestions.

Thanks

/ Rural Living Entertainment #2  
We went through our cell phone provider for internet service, couldn't get DSL , cable & dialup on the old land line was terrible.
Oops, you said cheap, it isn't the cheapest way, guess you could buy one of those XBOX things, or show them how to make a stick horse, much better than sitting inside anyway.

Ronnie

/ Rural Living Entertainment #3  
The lack of broadband access can be a problem in selling a home here.

/ Rural Living Entertainment #4  
Have you tried antenna TV? I got an old monster TV antenna that someone getting cable was going to throw out and hung it in the rafters above my garage. I get as many channels as I had with basic cable from cities up to 50~60 miles away.

/ Rural Living Entertainment #5  
I have an idea. I was a kid loooong before TV, Internet, Facebook, XBOX or ANY other modern day electronic devices. While inside we played board games, drew pictures, played card games or helped our parents with household chores. I built model airplanes and learned how to carve animals from blocks of wood. I built fantastic mechanical devices from my Erector set - I learned wood burning to make wonderful pictures. We would listen to the radio - Lone Ranger, Tom Mix, the Shadow - but sadly all those programs have died with the past. I learned how to take and process pictures with a film camera. I learned Morse Code and how to operate a simple Ham radio. I built my own Ham radio from a Heath Kit. I learned how to build and erect my own wire Ham radio antennae.

I started seeds in pots, in the house, that would later be transplanted to the family garden plot.

You have the great opportunity to teach your children that all entertainment need not come from modern electronics.

/ Rural Living Entertainment #6  
You didn't say how old the children are. be helpful to know.

it's more of an opportunity or blessing than anything. why get them hooked on TV or electric gadgets.

Take them fishing, build a tree house, even if all they do is hand you nails. May slow down progress, so what, its a learning experience. Take them in the shop with you. Have them find & hand you wrenches. & so on. Its memories that will last them a lifetime.

If its to cold outside or in the shop, board games, card games, hide & seek & so on. Teach them how to cook, read books to them.

The list of things to do & learn is almost endless. Young minds soak up information very quickly & it will stay with them their whole life.

/ Rural Living Entertainment #8  
I have an idea. I was a kid loooong before TV, Internet, Facebook, XBOX or ANY other modern day electronic devices. While inside we played board games, drew pictures, played card games or helped our parents with household chores. I built model airplanes and learned how to carve animals from blocks of wood. I built fantastic mechanical devices from my Erector set - I learned wood burning to make wonderful pictures. We would listen to the radio - Lone Ranger, Tom Mix, the Shadow - but sadly all those programs have died with the past. I learned how to take and process pictures with a film camera. I learned Morse Code and how to operate a simple Ham radio. I built my own Ham radio from a Heath Kit. I learned how to build and erect my own wire Ham radio antennae.

I started seeds in pots, in the house, that would later be transplanted to the family garden plot.

You have the great opportunity to teach your children that all entertainment need not come from modern electronics.

X2...

While I may have grown up as Al Gore was (thinking he was) inventing the Internet, we had limited outside world exposure. My parents did not own a TV until I was 15, and then it was only hooked up to a VHS tape player. My sister and I were homeschooled... our classroom was wherever we were, the kitchen table (home ec), the front yard(science), the local grocery store (math), the local hardware store (shop class), the hay field (drivers ed). You don't have to entertain a child, just let them be involved in every day life, answer their questions, let them be 'hands on', and a well rounded young person this will make.

We currently have satellite TV, Internet access... and are almost ready to drop them both. The cost is outrageous, and the kids are addicted... time for change. I value the Internet for research and communication reasons, but not as a mindless entertainment tool for children, much the same as I view TV.

/ Rural Living Entertainment #9  

Ah yes. I also grew up in a like time frame when the only electronic entertainment was the radio or a postage sized TV that only got one local channel and signed off at sundown.
I was never much into organized sports but I don't recall there was the socker mania of today back in the '40 and '50s. I put together dozens of "Heath Kits" and learned a ton of "how to" skills from my late father. Dad had a modest wood working shop in the basement where things were repaired or created and at the tender age of 10 or so I was allowed to use the table saw and other power tools. The only caviot in using the power tools was an adult must be at home. I suspect my parents figured if something went sour I had a better survival rate.
Fast forward 65 years. Moved from city living to rural living 41 years ago, raised two children to adulthood and along the way both kids learned food doesn't come from a grocery store and winter comfort grows on trees. Livestock needs to be fed every day and every thing has a life cycle.
Some years ago, my son who I recall must have been in his early teens commented: "kits that live in the city must be really board".
I suspect that comment sums up the matter pretty well.

B. John

/ Rural Living Entertainment #10  
We've got a 4 year old son that my wife has been home schooling since he was able to start learning. He can read remarkably well and knows his times tables all the way to 12's. Whenever he asks to watch a cartoon or play with his mother's tablet, we have him answer a few math questions first.

When weather permits he loves playing outside with our two 70 lb. dogs and driving his battery dune buggy around the place. He helps his mother in the garden a lot and he's a great "go fer" too.

Kevin