Rural Living or City Living?

/ Rural Living or City Living? #21  
Bird,

You should have picked a side or at least told her that it didn't bother you at all that she had a rooster.

/ Rural Living or City Living? #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( people have been known to call the police in my town when roosters start calling the am. I like it, can't understand what ppl's problem is with the rooster... what, the problem is that ppl like the idea of country living but when faced with what comes with it, they get miffed... go figure.. ? I can't tell you how many times I was almost plowed into (the back) on my tractor by SUVs and such this summer while going in-between properties/fields. (so many times I'm considering a trailer). I'd say to the folks irritated with the rooster, go back to the city.
-art )</font>

Art, well said my freind. I wish my neighbors would go back to the city too. They already have winter blankets on the horses when they let them out. Talk about stupid. It's 50-60 degrees out. DUH

/ Rural Living or City Living? #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Eventually they will get you. The root cause IMHO is high density zoning. Some county or city planner allowed the lots around you to be chopped up into tiny pieces. The tiny pieces are relatively cheap and attract city people if you are even close to a place of urban employment.

The best way to preserve a rural area is to keep the 20 acre or more minimum lot size. Spreads people out and gives you a longer driveway. )</font>

The way to fix these city slickers is to beat them at their own game. When they shut you down you get them good. Apply for Federal Housing approval for subsidized housing for your nice farmland. Build it up as much as you can with as many units as possible. You will destroy their nice living arrangement the same way they did it to you. Move out where people can't bother you and watch the fun. The value of their property will be drastically reduced because of who moves into your units. Towns cannot stop you from having federally funded subsidized housing projects or low income projects if your town does not already have them. Most towns try to keep these out to keep housing values way up.

/ Rural Living or City Living? #24  
Gotta go with rural living.

I have lived in both, single & married and rural wins hands down in my case. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I used to be surrounded by cows on one side and horses on the other but now the cow pasture has turned into a 76 home subdivision! I don't have any problems with anyone in there but I was having a problem with my neighbors pack of dogs escapeing their fenced in lot and running across my front yard to do barking battle with the other neighbors fenced in dogs. They liked to do it around 3:00 AM during the week. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I told my neighbor about it and even when they repaired where they were digging out they'ed still get oot. So I had to take matters in my own hands. It's amazing what a few well placed CO2 powered BB's can do to distract a pack of dogs. O course I had to convince the Mrs to quit giving them dog boNe treats too when I caught her doing it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And roosters crow whenever the need arrises. My horse raising neighbor also raises exotic chickens among other critters. I don't know the breed but they've got feathers all the way down to their toes, looks like fur, but anyways the rooster's carry on in the mornings and well into the evening. They don't sound off at night so I can live with it. This is the same neighbor that also raises white turkeys. I posted a few pics of 'em hanging out around my BX23 a few months back. The male will occasionally run around on my shop roof but he doesn't venture into the shop anymore.

Even with all the critters, it's not nearly as loud as it was in the city where there was always something going on.

Volfandt

/ Rural Living or City Living?
Jim, I did tell her that her rooster crowing doesn't bother me in the least, but that I can understand other people objecting to it.

/ Rural Living or City Living? #26  
This, my friend, will make the farmer a millionare. I've been hired by that farmer in the city a few times and chopped the large lot up into mobile home lots or even regular single family houses. It is amazing the payout that the farmer gets.

He has to move somewhere but he is well rewarded for the inconvenience. Serious money to be made.

/ Rural Living or City Living? #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Roosters only crow in the am </font> )</font>

Roosters will crow off and on all day.

/ Rural Living or City Living? #28  
I live on about 7 acres in an ag zoned area. The neighbors roosters crow, their turkeys wander through the yard ( and even their cows occasionally), there are cows, horses and sheep across the road and right next door the farmer was combining his crop just last night. About a mile away is an inland grain terminal. We have the best neighbors, the sights and sounds beat anything in the city, the taxes are cheap and we are only 8 minutes from the city limits. I always have a place to park my car and if I don't lock it my stereo is still there in the morning. We wouldn't trade it for anything!

/ Rural Living or City Living? #30  
Well I sure hope they agree. We try to be good neighbors and as for the rest of it everybody but us is on 30 to 80 acres and is hobby farming. My wife is a farm girl and she always wanted to get back to the country. I've attached a pic of our little piece of paradise. It's a couple of years old and the trees in the forground are much larger now.

Attachments

• 756325-4-Gallery.jpeg
    756325-4-Gallery.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 175