Rust on New Tractor

/ Rust on New Tractor #11  
Woodsman30350 said:
I bought a 2006 3040 in 2006 and it has quite a bit of rust. Particularly for a tractor that sits in a insulated barn. Pretty sad but Montana did give me a free can of spray paint. Isn't that nice of them?

Not to pester you, but just where is the rust and has it only shown up after you brought it home? I have seen Kubota's, New Holland's, Massey's, Mahindra's and Montana's on the dealers lots with rust on them in various places. New car companies usually only cover the finish of their cars for the first 30 days.

Just wondering:confused:

/ Rust on New Tractor #12  
I washed my three week old tractor this weekend, during our "January Thaw". Figured the road salt from clearing by the mailbox, and any grime acquired from transport, wasn't healthy for the finish. Better safe than sorry.

/ Rust on New Tractor #13  
When I bought my T2734 in 3/07 it had probably been sitting outside in the weather for almost a year. I did have a lot of rusty nuts and bolts, surface rust, and the clips that hold the radiator screen was real rusty. No big deal, I just touched every thing up with some rust remover and black spray paint. My tractor is made by TYM and is the same as this one.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/tym/108136-any-problems-tym.html?highlight=muffler

So I would expect any dealer that had old inventory that been out in the weather a year or two will have some rust.

On thing I did find when doing the 50 hour service was the radiator had no antifreeze in it at all. just glad it didn't get real cold the winter before I bought it, could have ended up with a cracked block. :+(

Last edited:
   / Rust on New Tractor #14  
My R4944HST just got home from spending more than a month living outside in my brother-in-law's back yard during a very rainy December. The only rust I've noticed was on the keyring from him leaving the key in the ignition the whole time (he won't be borrowing it again anytime soon...). I'll do a more detailed search, but even a lot of spots where the paint has been scratched off, like the ball ends of the 3-point, don't seem to be showing much rust.

/ Rust on New Tractor #15  
I am afraid it's sad but true..... The only way to keep your tractor new is to put it in the shed, cover it up and never take it out....... That is not what I bought mine for...... I am proud of every mark it has..... kind of gives it character.......

:)

/ Rust on New Tractor #16  
I just bought a new 2008 chevy pick up not even 1 months and guess what rust on some nuts and bolts under the vehicle infact everyone climb under there vehicle and take a look bet you find some rusty nuts and bolts,
so if its mechanicllay fine and is a good price then i dont undertstand the big deal ist a tractor after i used mine the firstime bushhogging it definelty looked used.

/ Rust on New Tractor #17  
I sell Kubota and New Holland, all our inventory sits outside... typicaly about 150-200 tractors at a time. We don't really have issues with inventory rusting during the time it sits out on our lot. Its unusual for a machine to be out there for than a few months, but even the big AG tractors that don't turn as fast and occasionaly are out there for awhile almost never show signs of weathering. The one exception maybe around the rops where there maybe flat area's where water can pool... but thats it.

/ Rust on New Tractor #18  
Yes, a lot of it will depend on how long a tractor is at the dealer. There are some Montana dealers that should have never been dealers and some of their inventory has been transferred to other dealers. There are some tractors that do not move as fast as others. As I have said before, there have been problems with the prep work on the caps of the hydraulic cylinders and bad paint there as well as small areas like the SMV brackets and rear light brackets just not getting a good coat of paint on them.

As far as the base machine from LS, they are no different than any other brand as far as corrosion and it seems the bolt on items and the US items are where the problems are.

Now the good thing is that the inventory that is older or has been relocated is usually sold at prices much less than the newer stuff for several reasons. There are incentives available plus the fact that the US dollar continues to fall making each new order more costly than the one before it.

I have sold a few transfers after showing the customers my new inventory and when they hear the transferred price vs on the lot price, they are happy with the deals on the transferred units.

Ken

/ Rust on New Tractor #19  
montanaman said:
Yes, a lot of it will depend on how long a tractor is at the dealer.

We have a local Mahindra dealer who brings tractors to a local farm show. Funny this is that the same tractors seem to show up every year. You can tell because the paint gets more and more of a pinkish color all the time.

/ Rust on New Tractor #20  
This happens to me all the time put a little DW40 on it and your readyt o roll