Rust on underside of rfm

/ Rust on underside of rfm #1  

nhman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
Was winterizing the rfm this weekend. I scrapped the grass off. The deck is 2 years old. With the grass came some of the paint from the underside of the deck in numerous places. Same thing happened last year when I winterized. Now I am noticing surface rust on the places where the paint came off last year. How do you folks deal with this? For now, I coated it with some oil to prevent more rust over the winter. Should I clean the underside really good and then paint it this spring or am I being a bit ****? The deck is stored under cover and with a tarp over it. Advice and ideas much appreciated.

nhman

/ Rust on underside of rfm #2  
I paint the underside of my mower decks as needed to control rust. I use Rustoleum rusty metal primer with an appropriate color of Rustoleum top color. Works for me.

Ben

/ Rust on underside of rfm #3  
I have the same problem and am planning to paint the rust with some of that "Rust Converter" stuff that supposedly stops things from rusting further. I'll keep you all posted on the outcome, but if anyone has had any experience (pro/con) I would like to hear about it.

Doug