Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal?

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #41  
Am I missing the point here? These are tools, use them, take care of them and paint in the off season. Tractor, not trailer queen!!

Our 1635 sees a lot of road duty, has a bit of rust, but will be getting painted this year. Road salt and brine are hard on everything

The little rust on that Mahindra is nothing to worry about. Nothing sanding and paint wont fix.

I get that point of view, but many of us here are not using a tractor for work or to make money, we bought a tractor as a tool to help out, but they're as much a toy as anything else. Now and then I shake my head a little that I spent 38K to drive around my 3 acre yard. I get enjoyment out of my tractor and the things I can use it for. For me, I want it to look and work great for a VERY VERY VERY long time, it's not like I'm going to sneak another one past the wifey any time soon :D

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #42  
I get that point of view, but many of us here are not using a tractor for work or to make money, we bought a tractor as a tool to help out, but they're as much a toy as anything else. Now and then I shake my head a little that I spent 38K to drive around my 3 acre yard. I get enjoyment out of my tractor and the things I can use it for. For me, I want it to look and work great for a VERY VERY VERY long time, it's not like I'm going to sneak another one past the wifey any time soon :D

Look at it this way Ken, tractors are good "therapy", Cheaper than most kinds, and cheaper and better for your health than a lot of other stress relievers (bars).. probably a bargain if you rationalize it that way:)

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #43  
Look at it this way Ken, tractors are good "therapy", Cheaper than most kinds, and cheaper and better for your health than a lot of other stress relievers (bars).. probably a bargain if you rationalize it that way:)

I totally agree and even if I shake my head at myself now and then, I have NO regrets.

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #44  
I don't think that the OP bought this tractor for fun or some kind of stress reliever seeing as he has several other tractors. If anything it has given him MORE stress because he gambled. Now according to him, he would have bought it with or without knowing about the rust. My take on this whole thing is that he purchased this tractor to do a job, got the tractor and doesn't like the amount of rust that is on it. To me, you either fix what you purchased or sell it if it bothers you that much. What I don't get is why is the OP still talking about it. :confused2: Deal with it in one fashion or another, but move on. It serves no purpose to go on & on & on about it. ;)

My last :2cents:

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal?
It serves no purpose to go on & on & on about it. ;) My last :2cents:

Really not going on and on, just answering questions and trying to figure out why it is the way it it. Thanks for your input, though. It seem a lot of times these boards become soap boxes for people to tout their favorite brand. I read LOTS of posts about Mahindra on here and most were positive. Just thought I would post my observations after owning one. I'm not bashing Mahindra, just posting my situation.

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #46  
That rust up front sure looks like somekind of battery issue to me , overcharging , leaky battery , something released some acid.

Ray
Ray, so far, yours is the only observation I agree with. A battery cap that is only slightly loose will allow enough leakage to do the kind of damage we see on the nose of this tractor. On the 3pt hitch it is obvious some corrosive material was splattered on the bottom of the lift arms.

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #47  
Really not going on and on, just answering questions and trying to figure out why it is the way it it. Thanks for your input, though. It seem a lot of times these boards become soap boxes for people to tout their favorite brand. I read LOTS of posts about Mahindra on here and most were positive. Just thought I would post my observations after owning one. I'm not bashing Mahindra, just posting my situation.

you just bought it you never owned one and this is your second thread complaining about it. lifes too short sell it or move on.

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #48  
What I don't get is why is the OP still talking about it. :confused2: Deal with it in one fashion or another, but move on. It serves no purpose to go on & on & on about it. ;)

I agree. :thumbsup:

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal?
Ray, so far, yours is the only observation I agree with. A battery cap that is only slightly loose will allow enough leakage to do the kind of damage we see on the nose of this tractor. On the 3pt hitch it is obvious some corrosive material was splattered on the bottom of the lift arms.
Thanks for the reply! I sent a txt to the guy I bought it from and asked him if he had any problems with it. He said that after he had it for six months the battery went dead. He said the dealer picked it up and put a new battery in it. I'll bet like you said the battery either cracked or a cap came loose... Now that I am 99% sure where the corrosion came from, I am going to replace the metal screens around the nose of the tractor. I was hesitant to do that not know what caused them to rust. Thanks for the insight! :)

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #50  
millstreaminn,

Just a heads-up that your 2 year old Mahindra that you bought used was built near the end of 2008, so it is 4.5 years old if you go by manufacture date. It may have been first sold in 2010, perhaps, but it is not a 2 year old tractor by any means. By 2010 the frames and all the gray parts were switched over to a satin black color, which was my first clue, the second clue being the serial number of course which I can see in your picture. I would also guess you do not have the now standard rear remote or the now standard grill guard. Had it been a 2010 build date, those would have been included.

The black paint seems to be more durable, and it is a piece of cake to match with rattle can paint brand of your choice. Up front it appears the battery has leaked some. In the back, I'd say the paint was thin from the factory, especially on the underside of the lift arms which is sort of hard to shoot on the automated paint line. No doubt the paint looks thin in the back.

Seems you are having buyers remorse for not looking at the tractor ahead of time. I'd suggest you just clean it good and repaint the gray parts and you will be good to go. Probably a couple hours cleaning and scuffing things up for good paint adherance, a little taping off and then two or three light coats and your tractor will look like new. While annoying, this is cosmetic. You got a good deal on a good tractor based on the low hours especially.

I'm not denying the paint should have been better, but I think it is time to move on and quit bashing Mahindra. I say that respectfully and I am only responding because I think your complaint over your "two year old" tractor might give people the wrong impression of Mahindra.