Rust

/ Rust #1  

ZJ_HR

Gold Member
Tractor
'02 Same Argon70 4WD, '81 Store 402 4WD
I'm trying to renew old pendulum fert spreader.
After brushing old rust with brush on grinder, I treated parts with chemical rust killer. Then surfaces became white. Next day I painted it with primer paint, and with 2 layers of car paint. It was in April.
As I haven't enough time to continue, parts were stored in dry place.
Today, when I catch some time to start assembling, I found spots where rust "digging" paint, and came out.
As I'm desperate, because of useless job /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif , I was uppset and confused what to do. I decided to brush paint out, but what to do to avoid similar situation? Not use rust killer?
Maybe buy Hamerite paint, and use it like primer?
Is it problem with rust killer, or in procedure? I didn't washed out surfaces after treating with rust killer. Is this possible cause?

Parts are from casted iron, and frame is out of 2" steel pipe. It was equal on both parts.

Attachments

• 540953-rust.JPG
    540953-rust.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 738
   / Rust #2  
I would sandblast the whole area to be done. Wash it off with a cleaner like thinner or other type of metal conditioner. I would then use Rustoluem paint on it. They also make a rusty surface paint that you could use which will seal the rust in. Once sealed, it will stop rusting as the air is eliminated to the rust surface. it wokrs very well as I did this to my old boat trailer years ago and stopped the rust dead in its tracks. I saw the trailer for sale this past summer and it still looked great. I painted it back in 1995.

/ Rust
Thank you Jim.
I can't sanblast, because i have bearings there, so that's reason fo brushing.
I decided to brush out paint, up to iron, and repaint it with paint for rusty parts, and then finish with car paint for colour.
Hope I will have more luck now.
And will never again use rust killer.

/ Rust #4  
ZJ,
Sounds like your new method should work . I have had the best sucess with Rustoleum or that type of paint for rusty metal surfaces. Use a few coats so it it sealed up good and it should hold for many years. The rust converters I have used turned black instead of white, and some paints do not adhere well to some converters. what kind did you use ?

Ben

/ Rust #5  
Sounds like you probably used "Naval Jelly", which must be entirely rinsed away as it will continue eating until it gets to good metal. I would use Loctite's "Extend", which will turn black and seal in rust, or gray Rustoleum "Hammered Finish" paint which can be used directly over rust, seal it in, and look like new steel

/ Rust
Ben and Norm,
Thank you for tips.
We don't have Rustoleum brand here, so I'm not not familiar with them.
Rust killer what I applied is clear liquid, like water, smell sour, probably phosphoric acid. It is local brand product, not known abroad.

If I can find product from Loctite, I'll buy it next time. I have pretty good luck wih other Loctite products, so I consider their products as excellent.

I just bought Hamerite brand paint (only brand possible to buy of this kind). It is described as rust converter, primer and finish paint in one.
I hope that I'll have better luck this time.

/ Rust #7  
I've used similar rust neutralizer-metal prep and always rinsed, with no resulting problems. The surface would end up kind of white/gray with almost a bit of a powdery surface. I think not rinsing may have caused your's but we'll probably never know for sure.

/ Rust #8  
You might want to try a product called POR 15.

It is used in auto frame restoration.

The stuff is like armor when dry and POR stand for Paint Over Rust.

Do a google on POR 15 it'll give you the site. Good luck.

I hate rust too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif...........J

/ Rust
Seems that you hit a nail. I remember something like dust and bubbles, but I didn't clean it out, as instructions said just "paint over".
Will try this next time.
Thanks

/ Rust #10  
There is a product available from several sources under different names. It was developed by the Navy for submarines I believe. Rustoleum calls it Rust Reformer. It's also available from Gemplers online. They call it Rust Converter. With this product you scrape off the loose rust and wire brush the rest. You must leave rust behind. When brushed or sprayed on this product chemically converts the remaining rust to an inert oxide that also serves as a primer. There is literally no rust left to continue. I hope you can get it there and give it a try.
Gemplers Rust Converter I've had great results with it.
Let us know how yo make out.

Andy