Rusted bolts

/ Rusted bolts #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Found on Smokstak - antique tractor and engine web site:
Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break outtorque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They are below, as forwarded by anprofessional machinist, Bud Baker.They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the
control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientificallyrusted" environment.*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40.................. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix.....53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than
any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist
group mixed up a batchand we all now use it with equally good results.
Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about
20% of the price

/ Rusted bolts #2  
Do you have to re - add Acetone to the mix over time? Seems like it would evaporate quickly.
Thanks..

/ Rusted bolts #3  
Thats interesting, Acetone and ATF..... I have used kroil for years and saved the lives who knows how many nuts and bolts and screws.:D

/ Rusted bolts #4  
Kroil is probably the best ive used. Never had much luck with Liquid Wrench. Second best would be the Zep penetrant im using now.

I havent tried the Acetone ATF thing yet, but ive seen that same test published lots of places. Theres another version (perhaps the original) of that recipe that has lanolin in it.Maybe one of these days ill get motivated and give it a try.

But i do agree with the test....WD40 is crap:D

/ Rusted bolts #5  
But WD40 was engineered to be a water displacer, that's where the WD comes from. The 40 is that it was the 40th blend or try that was chosen.

/ Rusted bolts #6  
But WD40 was engineered to be a water displacer, that's where the WD comes from. The 40 is that it was the 40th blend or try that was chosen.

Yep. I knew that... But look at their advertising.... not a wet thing in sight... Lots of rusted bolts and squeeky hinges though:D

/ Rusted bolts #7  
Too bad they didn't test Marvin's Magic Mystery Oil. I like that stuff!

/ Rusted bolts #9  
I am going to try it as soon aas I can find something to keep it in. I put the mixture in a plastic bottle that had stain remover in it. I found it the next morning melted down into a gooy glob. I am going to try a steel oil can. I hope it doesn't eat the seals out of the pump.

/ Rusted bolts #10  
Did they happen to mention which type of ATF? Acetone is nasty stuff around plastic and paint finishes but good for removing nail polish....,. I've also heard that a few oz of it in a tank of gas reduces the surface tension of the fuel and promotes a LOT better fuel mileage. I guess its possible that it does the same thing with the atf allowing better penetration....