rusted receiver removal.

/ rusted receiver removal. #1  

wedge40

Veteran Member
I have a receiver on a F150 that hasn't been removed for about 8 years. Any tricks to getting this thing unstuck? I dont have access to acetylene, just MAP gas. I've heated and used PB blaster, but still wont budge, forward or backward. Any suggestions?

Wedge

/ rusted receiver removal. #2  
Have you tried to put tension on it, by pulling against a stump, then using a sledge to beat it up a little?

I had this happen on an old Ford F350, and it worked for me.

/ rusted receiver removal. #3  
I hate it when that happens!!!

/ rusted receiver removal. #4  
Thats why I take mine out each and every time. Plus I got tired putting holes in the garage wall and busting my shins.

Really though try chaining it to a tree and pulling. If not you are screwed. I have had to cut them off with a torch. Your best bet if it will not come out is to take the entire hitch off, 6 to 8 bolts on a F-150, and use a shop press with a soak in ATF and kero or some other rust buster.

Good luck.

/ rusted receiver removal.
Sorry, pulled on tree and even backed into tree. Bent hook on chain even.
I guess I'll have to let the pros handle it.
Do fire extinguisher still produce large amounts of cold. Heat didn't work but though a cold might work better.

Wedge

/ rusted receiver removal. #7  
I put mine on a frame machine, heated it, and pulled it, repeat. And I still could not get it apart. :mur:

Cutting it open, and welding it. was the only option left. But, I did not want it off that bad.

/ rusted receiver removal. #8  
Put a pin in it that's slightly smaller than the OE pin. Hook up a trailer and take it for a beer run on a bumpy road. In 30 minutes, it will be loose.

/ rusted receiver removal. #9  
i've got one of these too. my ton had one rusted in when i bought it, and i've never got around to getting it out yet. i heated as much of the hitch as i could keep warm at once, hooked two trucks together with them under tension and smacked on things with a sledge. nothing moved. i have a feeling i'm going to have to cut the receiver tube welds out with a cutoff wheel. maybe it would just be easier to slit the tube and try to pry it open. i want to try to get the drawbar out in one piece, as it's a 2" solid bar with a 6" drop for a 2-5/16" ball. the drawbar costs more than a receiver tube.

/ rusted receiver removal. #10  
Have you tried to put tension on it, by pulling against a stump, then using a sledge to beat it up a little?

I had this happen on an old Ford F350, and it worked for me.

That worked for me. But still might not work. As pointed out, may have to remove the whole hitch and take it to a shop and press out.