rusting tools in tool boxes

/ rusting tools in tool boxes #1  

jay3534

Silver Member
Tractor
AC 5015
What are you using in your tool boxes to prevent rusting tools? Tool boxes are in a storage building and I wipe tools off after use. Light oiling is not preferred.

/ rusting tools in tool boxes #2  
Rusting is from moisture/condensation. I had the same problem. Insulation applied to the roof and walls cured it for the most part.

/ rusting tools in tool boxes #3  
Dissicant
A dehumidifier
I spray just a little WD-40 in a drawer full of tools occasionally.
2024_04_16_11.37.05.jpg

/ rusting tools in tool boxes #4  
What are you using in your tool boxes to prevent rusting tools? Tool boxes are in a storage building and I wipe tools off after use. Light oiling is not preferred.
Light oiling is not preferred, but might be necessary. If you're not going to do climate control in the storage building to prevent humidity, it's about the only choice, except putting them in sealed containers with a desiccant.

When I brought home my tools/toolbox from my last job when production got outsourced, I stored them in the unheated garage. Within a couple months, all non-chromed tools, like pliers, pry bars, hammers, etc. started developing rust.

Take a rag with some WD40 and wipe them down each time you're done using them. Doesn't have to be a thick coat. It also gives you an opportunity to show them some love and inspect them for damage/condition.

/ rusting tools in tool boxes #5  
For our horse tack room and the garage bathroom I bought two small dehumidifiers from Amazon. They have a small pull out water collection container at bottom. I drilled a hole and threaded in a small hose adapter, putting JB Weld on threads. Then aquarium tubing going outside, 3/8" hole drilled through wall. They work well & never have to empty container.
2024_04_16_11.41.36.jpg
2024_04_16_11.49.38.jpg

/ rusting tools in tool boxes #6  
Fluid Film.
In Mississippi EVERYTHING rusts. I've ~5,000 sq ft of "shed space" spread throughout 4 buildings. Early on I bought a case of Fluid Film in their aerosol cans and spread them throughout the buildings. Any sign of bare or scratched metal gets squirted.

/ rusting tools in tool boxes #8  
Has anybody tried Zerust? Our maintenance guys used to put them in control panels that were prone to rust.

/ rusting tools in tool boxes #9  
I use desiccant packets in all my socket sets and in all my tool chest drawers. Sometimes I wipe some with Fluid Film.

/ rusting tools in tool boxes #10  
For many years I thought tool manufacturers are missing business by not making stainless steel tools.

Then I realized they wouldn't sell replacement tool nearly as often.

Bruce