Mowing Rustproofing mower decks

/ Rustproofing mower decks #11  
No lesson needed. Used to live at Tahoe. Love KT-22. Backpacked and nordic skiied all over Desolation. Have little doubt that I know the geography of the area better than you ever will. Don't care for those with no respect for water quality of the basin and surrounding Sierra watersheds.

/ Rustproofing mower decks #12  
(Taking the "highest road" I can stomach, folks) ...

Tom_H:

Please take a moment to view the attached image.

The "Squaw Valley" of which you speak is not "Squaw Valley, CA *93675*" (as my TBN profile location indicates).

"Your" Squaw Valley is really known, formally, as Squaw Valley USA, CA and is located near Lake Tahoe, CA.

"My" Squaw Valley, is THE Squaw Valley, CA, which is located east of Fresno, CA.

"Your" Squaw Valley was "created", recently, in California history terms, for snow skiing purposes.

"My" Squaw Valley's history dates back some 100+ years.

The proper geographic name for "your" Squaw Valley is Olympic Valley.

The geographic name for "my" Squaw Valley is ... umm ... Squaw Valley.

I don't care much for those in positions of educating our offspring, at extravagant expence, that do not realize the facts when said facts are handed to them on a silver platter.

But, I do wish you a good evening and hope you have some nice homebrewed beer or hooch to sip on.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 684125-SV-SV map.jpg
    684125-SV-SV map.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 206
   / Rustproofing mower decks #13  
When you brush or spray oil on the bottom of a mowing deck very little oil is used and when mowing this small amount of oil gets spread out over a large area.
But, you are probably correct that used crankcase oil should not be used to protect mower decks from rusting because it could have an adverse effect on the enviroment.
Machine oil, WD-40 or anything thats not biodegradable probably should not be used either.
If it's not biodegradable, it will keep building up in the enviroment it's spread in.

/ Rustproofing mower decks #14  
I painted the bottom of the deck with POR-15. It has been holding up good.

/ Rustproofing mower decks #15  
I know nothing of the local geography of California, but I do know that anyone who thinks teachers are being paid salaries that are an “extravagant expense” is showing their own ignorance /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Rustproofing mower decks #16  
The cost of replacing a mower deck is minimun compare to the damage we do the environment when we do not do responsible maintenance, lets be responsible PLEASE.

/ Rustproofing mower decks #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The cost of replacing a mower deck is minimun compare to the damage we do the environment when we do not do responsible maintenance, lets be responsible PLEASE. )</font>
I too am a firm believer that the only legitimate use for used crankcase oil is the big recycling tank at the local landfill. Once it's in the environment, there are just too many ways for it to reach fresh water supplies.

/ Rustproofing mower decks #19  
The educator in question was a graduate student so it is reasonable to assume he may have been a university type professor. Many are very well paid and cost to students for listening to these people is extremely high.

Heaven forbid you use nonbiodegradable grease to lube the zerks and the grease is squished out of the joint onto mother earth.

I utilize a pressure washer on mowers to blow off every bit of loose rust, paint, and thatch (onto the ground) before painting with whatever can of spray paint I have on hand(volatile emmisions). Many parts of the country utilize a heavy oil (think 90 weight gear oil) to undercoat their autos since the rubberized type undercoating can actually do more harm than good. Clean the deck, and seal the bare metal to prevent oxidation. Thick petroleum or paint can be used. Whatever you use will need to be reapplied after mowing and should be smooth to allow smooth airflow.

Tree huggers. We have oil mat roads, creosoted telephone poles, and even creosoted railroad ties. Get used to responsible reasonable use of petroleum. The crankcase oil will get saturated with dust and then fall off in a mower deck application. More pollution will be made by the exhaust emmisions of the tractor.

/ Rustproofing mower decks #20  
I use Fluid Film for rust protection on lots of things but never thought of the mower deck. It should work fine and it's non-toxic.

Rich