RZT or Z-Force

/ RZT or Z-Force #21  
Doc, I think you may have noted before why your machine has a Briggs instead of the KC [04 or something; nothing against the Briggs, just couldn't remember why the difference], but that's too bad about the oil consumption. If it isn't better soon, can you see if it's covered under warranty?

On the M50; it is cataloged [both website and hardcopy] with the commercial machines, but it has enough differences that it just seems out of place IMHO. Even for those not interested in decks or trannys, when the 50" is 200lb lighter than the 48", it should be a strong clue to something being different. I'm still thinking as a "transition unit" it deserved it's own name. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ RZT or Z-Force #22  
Yes, mine is an '04 model and is a 48" instead of 50" The Briggs was all they put in any Z-Force in '04. I have read about some problems with Kohlers as well, so I think that it's a wash.

Are you saying that the '05 Z-Force 50" is 200 pounds lighter than the earlier Z-Force 48", or are you saying that the M-50 is 200 pounds heavier than the Z-Force?

Even if the M-50 has the sealed drives, they are probably the heavier IZT drives like in the Z-Force as opposed to the light duty EZT drives in the RZT. I think as long as you don't spray water around the drive vents without sealing them off the drives will pose no trouble. The EZT drives are REALLY prone to failure.

I think the EZT drives give ALL sealed drives a bad reputation that might not be deserved by the IZT.

Have a great day,
Doc

/ RZT or Z-Force #23  
Actually, I was saying the M50 is lighter than the M48; not the ZFs (no idea, but I'd guess about 600lb on the ZF; ironically, that'd be 200lb lighter than a M50).

On the transmissions though:
While I still don't think they'll have the longevity of a pump/motor system, you may be right about the integrated transmissions getting a bad rap. One dealer was telling me [I don't believe everything I hear, but judged his statement about failures factual] his only IZT failures were due to water from negligence when cleaning [as you mentioned] or storing; so there are probably a few sore users directly on the IZT, though not an actual weakness [in the litteral sense anyway].

Then the EZT: I don't know of failures, but neither the torque specs nor anything else I've seen of it give me a "warm fuzzy" compared to the IZT, so failures wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, if the numbers on the Hustler's site hustler are right I'd think you could replace both under $1K; and likely much less [inflation adjusted /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif] by the 10 years (800 hours?) it takes to wear one out.

Happy mowing!