S-370D Service Manual - Scan PDF

/ S-370D Service Manual - Scan PDF #11  
I got a copy of the factory "instruction book" (user's guide) and a copy of the factory repair manual for my S470D from Valley Power (satohparts.com). They are local for me and a valuable resource, so I support them. They are good quality copies, spiral bound so they lay flat. Very helpful. Some of the language translations are kinda funny. I think some of the other vendors who post here also offer copies of the factory manuals as well.

/ S-370D Service Manual - Scan PDF #12  
   / S-370D Service Manual - Scan PDF
Ok, so I contacted the guys at Valley Power and they have the original manual. The one thing to note is that they are doing a reproduction of the original manual. They scanned it, and then take it to a printer to print and bind it. I doubt they own the copyright, so we are in the same boat with that manual or if any of us scan it for posting. I have ordered the service and operators manual and when I get it, I will scan both of them to PDF probably chapter by chapter so that I will have it saved for future use if the original gets damaged.

/ S-370D Service Manual - Scan PDF #14  
Ok, so I contacted the guys at Valley Power and they have the original manual. The one thing to note is that they are doing a reproduction of the original manual. They scanned it, and then take it to a printer to print and bind it. I doubt they own the copyright, so we are in the same boat with that manual or if any of us scan it for posting. I have ordered the service and operators manual and when I get it, I will scan both of them to PDF probably chapter by chapter so that I will have it saved for future use if the original gets damaged.

If you read the link to the TBN thread about copyrights I posted earlier, you'll see that there is a loophole in copyright law that effectively makes manuals printed prior to 1989 public domain if a proper copyright notice wasn't printed in the manual or if the copyright wasn't renewed.

The trick is determining if the manual is public domain to avoid the potential for being sued. It's how many companies get away with reproducing older manuals and technically speaking, anyone could scan them and sell them or post them online for free, but doing so could you at risk for being sued unless you were absolutely certain that the manual was in fact public domain.