S650G Questions

/ S650G Questions #1  

Hillbilly Dan

Tractor
Satoh S650G
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I just purchased a Satoh S650G and would like to try and find a bit of information about it. The number on the engine block is S230313 and the number on the "clutch pedal" side of the frame / just below the shifter is S-650G-301973.

From a bit of research I found Satohparts.com / Valley Power Products, Inc. / japanesetractorparts.com / and sheaftractor.net and think that I may have a Mazda PB 100 engine because of the Mazda logo, etc. but I may be wrong. I am also guessing that the last 4 digits on "frame" number may indicate it being made in 1973 ......and again this is an un-educated guess from being an old retired shop teacher and dealing with machine/machinery numbers in the past, but again I may be totally wrong......I have been wrong so many times in my life that one more won't hurt my average much anyway....

The carburetor is a Solex model 30 PICT 3 which I believe is a VW carb. I know the history of this old tractor and it has had this carb on it for a decade or so and runs ok other than it needs cleaned up and a kit. Is there any other Satoh 650 owners running such a carb?.........I would imagine an original carb may be a bit difficult to find....is there a better after market work-around carb that others are having good luck with.......if not I am reasonably sure after working on a few hundred carbs in my life that this one will suffice given a good chance, but if there is a better one I will listen.

Again thanks for any assistance.

Dan

/ S650G Questions #2  
I think you are operating under a false assumption when it comes to the serial number corresponding to the mfr date. I've not seen any information that could accurately establish a model year. Most just divide early and later production @ 700000. For instance my serial number is 600333. A good source of specs information is The Satoh S65G Bison Tractor Information Resource

/ S650G Questions
Thanks for the answers.

1. Then do you think my serial # is 301973 which is the one located on the frame?

2. Do you think my engine is a PB100?

3. Are there any others that are running a Solex model 30 PICT 3 carb?

4. There are a couple of engine parts lists concerning tune up aftermarket parts, etc. ......... which link do you use?

5. I plan on fabricating a front-loader for mine or modifying a loader that was on a Ford 8N that only had a trip bucket on the front that if I use this front-loader as "beginning" and modify it I will add a hydraulic cylinder or cylinders to move the bucket . Are there any others that have modified front-loaders that you know of?

6. Would you recommend a 6' or 7' blade for the 3-point?

Thanks again ~ Dan

/ S650G Questions #4  
You have a fairly early model as indicated by the 300000 number on the transmission. Numbers in the parts book go over 8000000. There was originally a badge on the frame under the dip stick that would tell you the C.I.D. and H.P. of the engine, if that's not there I can't really say which engine. Two carbs were used, a Nikki and a Stromberg. Ignition parts should be the same with either engine as are many/most other parts. There are very good parts posts in this forum.
I have a 5' bucket with both lift and tip hydraulics and it works fine. As for a blade, the longer it is the more traction problems you will have.

/ S650G Questions
I have been out of town and sorry for the delay in answering, but again thanks for the information. When I get it home I will check the tag you mentioned. It is there, but I couldn't read it very well and will wait until I can.

As per the carb.....I do not care to have the original carb, but are there any other S650G tractors that anyone knows of that are running a Solex model 30 PICT 3 carb?

To ask again ......... I plan on fabricating a front-loader for mine or modifying a loader that was on a Ford 8N that only had a trip bucket on the front that if I use this front-loader as "beginning" and modify it I will add a hydraulic cylinder or cylinders to move the bucket . Are there any others that have modified front-loaders that you know of?

Thanks again ~ Dan

/ S650G Questions #6  
I looked into using a Solex carb, but as I remember it took some modifications to make it work. I have since obtained some new Nikki carbs which bolt right up without modifications.

I don't know of any modified loaders on the S650, but i do have a loader bult for the S650 for sale.

I have been out of town and sorry for the delay in answering, but again thanks for the information. When I get it home I will check the tag you mentioned. It is there, but I couldn't read it very well and will wait until I can.

As per the carb.....I do not care to have the original carb, but are there any other S650G tractors that anyone knows of that are running a Solex model 30 PICT 3 carb?

To ask again ......... I plan on fabricating a front-loader for mine or modifying a loader that was on a Ford 8N that only had a trip bucket on the front that if I use this front-loader as "beginning" and modify it I will add a hydraulic cylinder or cylinders to move the bucket . Are there any others that have modified front-loaders that you know of?

Thanks again ~ Dan

/ S650G Questions
Hello Leonard,

Thanks for the answers, but I didn't find answers to my Solex questions and I went ahead and purchased a kit for my Solex and rebuilt it. I know the history of the tractor as it was owned by a professional tractor mechanic for several years and it has run fine, but I wanted to take it apart ......... clean it and I almost always put in a kit if the carb in question is taken that far apart.

As per the frontloader ....... I didn't hear from anyone concerning a frontloader until your post so I went ahead and acquired a loader a few weeks ago.

What is the maker/model #, condition, etc. and price you want for yours?

Thanks ~ Dan