s750 losing power

/ s750 losing power
Today we replaced fuel cap and drained the tank. Cleaned the filler screen, too. Replaced fuel filter, again and purged everything. Started it up and it ran fine. No chugging like it was doing yesterday.
Could not find anything definitive in the fuel like water or other contaminant. Tech thought it smelled like it had some gas in it but my receipts show all diesel purchases in the last couple of weeks. How much gas could screw it up?
We took a sample from my transfer tank and it looked good but then I took a sample and poured a little out. I wanted to see if it lit easily (thinking that if there was gas that it would ignite). I poured some in my fire box and it lit quickly but then burned slow.. so it was mostly diesel. We can't account for where any gas would have come from. I drained my transfer tank down to nothing and checked the fuel. Only a very small amount of water at the very bottom and I have a water block filter on that pump.

So, I get to try it out tomorrow. It's at just under a half tank now. I plan on filling it up in the morning and working it hard all day. I'm still not sure what the problem was. The tech has nearly 30 years experience and is one of the best field techs out here. His biggest guess was some gas in the fuel but said the fuel cap could cause a problem if it was restricted.
Said belt was fine.

I'll update after I run it for awhile. Thanks for the help!

/ s750 losing power
I'm leaning towards it being bad fuel or gas in the diesel after all. Same fuel went into my toolcat and now it started running like poo. I do not want to drain the tank but that may be my only alternative. We just drained the 750's tank. So far, it's running okay but I haven't had a chance to run it below half a tank yet and that's where my other problems were.
Whatever is in any of the tanks has to be severely diluted. I'm wondering if somehow the gas station started to fill the diesel tank with the wrong fuel. It's a rural station and has small, above ground tanks.
All of my receipts say diesel but part of my transfer tank went into my toolcat and the same fuel at the station went into my 750. Could be a combination of things with the 750 but my Ford 6.0 also got fuel there and it has been diluted as well, by now. Other than draining the tank, any other suggestions if there is gas mixed into the diesel?