SA or DA Cylinders on Plow?

/ SA or DA Cylinders on Plow? #1  

Erik Graham

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2630,Ford NAA, Kubota L2550GST
Greetings:

As mentioned I am in the process of converting my Kubota front plow back to hydraulic left/right tilt. I am confused about the choice of cylinders. The 2 photos here show cylinders with 2 ports and a connector hose between the two cylinders. All of the truck mounted plows I have seen have only one port/one hose on each of the cylinders. Looking at the parts list for the plow, buying cylinders from Kubota is out of the question, but I'm not really sure what type of aftermarket cylinder I should be looking for. My plow is a small one, 60" I think. At the moment I am wondering if a single, double acting cylinder might not be the best choice. I have to do a bit of cutting/welding on the blade anyways.

Any insights greatly appreciated.

Cheers,Erik

Attachments

• Kubota-Blade-Cylinders.jpg
    Kubota-Blade-Cylinders.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Kubota-Blade-Cylinders-2.jpg
    Kubota-Blade-Cylinders-2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 195
   / SA or DA Cylinders on Plow? #2  
Two double acting cylinders will give a slower response time but more power to the angle and more strength when in position. Two single action units will give more speed, ASSUMING the same bore and shaft sizes....

/ SA or DA Cylinders on Plow? #3  
I see you have double acting cylinders on it. I see you have a short hose connected to the 2 on bottom making it act like a single acting. On truck plow, like you surmised is single acting. IT only needs a single port becuase the side that is pushing is actually pushing the other back through that hose.

Switching it to the back mount is fine, You still can use the current setup and no need to change anything IMHO. Just use your current setup. If you convert cylinders to single acting, you still need two of them. The double acting, in reality you only need one or use the ones you have without modifying it.

/ SA or DA Cylinders on Plow?
I realise my posting might not have been very clear. The two photo's are of similar Kubota plows that I found on the net. My plow doesn't have cylinders of any sort on it at the moment. The previous owner stripped out both cylinders and all the hoses. What I have at the moment is a large cylinder on the subframe giving me up and down pressure. I'm trying to determine the best way to restore left/right hydraulic control. Very curious about the function of the connecting hose between the cylinders.

Cheers, Erik

/ SA or DA Cylinders on Plow? #5  
I realise my posting might not have been very clear. The two photo's are of similar Kubota plows that I found on the net. My plow doesn't have cylinders of any sort on it at the moment. The previous owner stripped out both cylinders and all the hoses. What I have at the moment is a large cylinder on the subframe giving me up and down pressure. I'm trying to determine the best way to restore left/right hydraulic control. Very curious about the function of the connecting hose between the cylinders.

Cheers, Erik

Go with two cross connected double action cylinders, and a crossover relief valve.....you are all set for some tough plowing....;)
crossoverrelief.jpg

/ SA or DA Cylinders on Plow? #6  
AKKAMAAN nice drawing... i think i seen this drawing before??? LOL... most people wouldn't install some type of pressure relief in these cylinders, but when the corner of the blade fetches up on something that will not move then the pressure increases are fast and high...Jim