Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #82  
Possibly the pin sheared and it came back through the Windshield and killed the driver. I believe there was a child in the cab too.
One can debate whether or not the driver should be in the towed vehicle. Someone suggested earlier in this thread putting the hood up which might have protected the windshield. All other passengers should have been standing back at a safe distance.

More than a "Pin" sheering.

index.php

index.php

That drop hitch is very tall. Hopefully it was engineered and tested to breaking. It appears to have an interchangeable ball on it, but I can't imagine it could be safe for pulling anything more than my little 1000 lb 4x8 utility trailer.

Even if the drop hitch hadn't broken, it could have put extreme torsion force on the receiver, and bent it.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #85  
That 8"± drop would greatly increase the leverage to the breaking point.
Especially since the drop wasn't designed for that type of abuse.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #86  
Some discussion about using a 3-ball hitch.

I noticed that Matt is now using one-piece pintle hooks.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #87  
There is a power line, but too far away to be of much help unless one has a mile worth of straps.
Damn, that might have been enough to kill somebody in the next town over.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #88  
Sad truck recovery accident out of Arizona. Sad becuase the guy died, but also sad because his 3 kids were sitting in the back seat as a 30 lb. drop hitch came through the window and killed him. Could have been avoided, putting this here to remind us to not make a similar mistake.

Could have been avoided? I would say NOT. It is too bad the victim could not react to the threat in time but that would have most likely been impossible. Could have been avoided? Hardly likely.

Could have been prevented? Absolutely by properly fastening and lashing down everything you carry, and check your lug nuts too!

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #89  
Could have been avoided? I would say NOT. It is too bad the victim could not react to the threat in time but that would have most likely been impossible. Could have been avoided? Hardly likely.
Easily avoided if using the proper equipment, I think.

Maybe even with the wrong equipment, by simply attaching to that horrible ball mount up at the receiver tube level.

Safest would've been to use a heavy vehicle with a powerful enough winch. But I can't blame them for trying with what they had. After all, that's how we got a crew cab dually out of a very similar situation, using only a 4Runner and recovery straps.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #90  
How fast was she going? Yikes!
There was a Volvo ad (I don't think it ran in the US) where the child's doll on the rear package shelf was the only loose object. It went through the windshield, while 3 point seatbelts saved everyone.