Safe operation of BX2200

/ Safe operation of BX2200 #1  

RonR

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 BX2200
This is sort of a continuation of the safety seat thread...........

One of the things I realized early on was when you get off your BX, you should set the brake, go to N and turn off the PTO. (If you want a shock, be parked on a sloping driveway with the engine off and in gear. When you pull it to N to start and you start rolling because you forgot to set the brake, it gives you a thrill!)

Our tractors are attractive nuisances--especially to little kids!

I had mine in front working on something next to it. I'd left the loader down, set the brake, left it iin N, set a 4X4 block in front of the rear wheel, and pulled the key. So when the neighbor and his 5 YR old grandson came over and the boy wanted to climb on the BX, I knew it was reasonably safe and told him/granddad it was ok--he couldn't release the brake and launch down the drive or start it or drop the FEL on someone.....

I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but it was a nice feeling knowing that I didn't have to panic over whatever thing the boy tried as he was ENJOYING his tractor time!

Stay safe out there.
Ron

/ Safe operation of BX2200 #2  
Ron,

I agree with the issue of safety and kids, but I'll tell you one place where I disagree in the procedure. I leave the tractor in gear. With the safety interlock, the child would have to not only figure out where the key is, but that he'd have to shift it into neutral to start.

Other than that, the hydraulics are all down (mower deck is locked in top position if it's on) and the brake is set. I don't bother blocking the wheel because mine is never parked on a slope.

/ Safe operation of BX2200
No dispute

I often leave mine in gear also when parking it for the night as sort of a lockout device.

Take care,
Ron

/ Safe operation of BX2200 #4  
Re: No dispute

(for the benifit of other newbees) And of course drop the deck and other implements if you've got em.

I too use the leave it in gear approach. I figure if it can perplex me for 3 or 4 minutes twice a month, it will keep the kid busy for at least a minute trying to get her started.

/ Safe operation of BX2200 #5  

Those are all good tips on keeping the tractor from rolling. Best way to keep it from being started - never leave the key in it! Not too many children will hot wire one!

Terry

/ Safe operation of BX2200 #6  

I have a 3 year old that knows what an alternator is. He darn sure can find a key, put it in and turn it. I doubt he'd put it to N and try it though.

Yeah I know, hide the key. And the kitchen knives... and the scissors, and the toilet bowl cleaner... You can't get it all safe all the time.

/ Safe operation of BX2200 #7  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yeah I know, hide the key. And the kitchen knives... and the scissors, and the toilet bowl cleaner... You can't get it all safe all the time.
)</font>
No kidding . . . you should see some of the things that end up in my gunsafe at times to keep them away from "little hands"! The gunsafe is the only place I know for sure they can't get into.
Terry

/ Safe operation of BX2200 #8  
I have a bx22 with 41 hrs on it . My yard is sloped and steep in places. A fiew times when I started the tractor and lifted the impliments It started to roll. I had to stomp on the break and put it in gear.I kind of wish it would start in gear because it doesn't move unless you push the forward reverse pedal. I know it could creap forward or you could step on the pedal by accident entering the tractor of the right side. Of course I enter it from the left side with the loader on or off I don't want to pust the pedal or move the loader control. I do put all of the impliments on the ground set the break and leave it in gear, and take the key when I walk away form it for a while. David