SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this?

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #131  
I know he said it ran away. But did it? no Volfant did not make it clearer. I hope this isn't personal with you. It isn't with me.

..... or was it just WOT. Running away means there is no RPM limit and those engines usually just go faster and faster till the destruct (If there is sufficient combustible fuel available). or you can shut it down somehow.

standing beside one of those engines at WOT is is pretty loud. they don't call them screamers for no reason.

I'll try to be as clear as possible....
The valve cover was off for servicing. (replacement of the fuel injectors). One of the new injectors stuck open which inturn jammed the fuel rail at WOT. (It was governed to run at it's governed WOT as it was used to power an AC/DC generator, hydraulic motor to drive itself and another hydraulic pump that was used to pressureize an accumilator that was then used to hydraulically start it. They didn't have electric starters at the time, we added them later tho...).
It was started (not knowing that the injector or fuel rail would jam) and it immediately ran to WOT. Since the valve cover was removed, which also meant the air intake horn to the supercharger was also, this gave the engine oil that was squirting out of the valve train direct access straight into the supercharger, hense the cylinders, which was then providng fuel to run the engine on it's own oil. We shut down the fuel supply which inturn removed the governor, but by this time the engine then "ran away" out of control. Pulling the kill lever had no effect as the fuel rail was stuck open and it was then not running on diesel fuel anyway. Again it was a run-away engine running as fast as it could ungoverned...
We know it ingested rags as we kept stuffing the very short intake horn to the supercharger full until it finally suffocated.

This was over 35 yrs ago but I can still hear that 6-71 Detroit screamming away.....

Dave

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #132  
I'll try to be as clear as possible....
The valve cover was off for servicing. (replacement of the fuel injectors). One of the new injectors stuck open which inturn jammed the fuel rail at WOT. (It was governed to run at it's governed WOT as it was used to power an AC/DC generator, hydraulic motor to drive itself and another hydraulic pump that was used to pressureize an accumilator that was then used to hydraulically start it. They didn't have electric starters at the time, we added them later tho...).
It was started (not knowing that the injector or fuel rail would jam) and it immediately ran to WOT. Since the valve cover was removed, which also meant the air intake horn to the supercharger was also, this gave the engine oil that was squirting out of the valve train direct access straight into the supercharger, hense the cylinders, which was then providng fuel to run the engine on it's own oil. We shut down the fuel supply which inturn removed the governor, but by this time the engine then "ran away" out of control. Pulling the kill lever had no effect as the fuel rail was stuck open and it was then not running on diesel fuel anyway. Again it was a run-away engine running as fast as it could ungoverned...
We know it ingested rags as we kept stuffing the very short intake horn to the supercharger full until it finally suffocated.

This was over 35 yrs ago but I can still hear that 6-71 Detroit screamming away.....

Dave
that makes it a bit clearer. not all applications of that engine require the intake to be exposed when you take off a valve cover. I know I would not want to be working on one of those with it running and the intake exposed.

It would run as fast as the fuel ..in this case the oil would allow. if there was more oil it would go faster up to destroying itself.
the detroit diesel is more susceptible to running away then most diesels I have dealt with.

you didn't have to change the blower after that?

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #133  
Dave, I have since put a wire on the injection pump lever on my BX23, which is visible and easy to get to. I can shut it down immediately if need be. It is a good safety device to have in the rare occasion that I would need it, but it is there now. Hopefully this will help others in the future.

Not trying to pop your bubble, but if it truly becomes a runaway situation, pulling on that wire won't do a thing !

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #134  
I know he said it ran away. But did it? no Volfant did not make it clearer. I hope this isn't personal with you. It isn't with me.

It's not personal with me; it's all good. We're just talking diesels here.

I have not seen a comment about stopping a diesel by blocking the exhaust other than my own. Care to comment?

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #135  
Care to comment?

With a diesel running at warp speed, I'd be concerned with the amount of pressure building up in the exhaust system. No ?

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #136  
With a diesel running at warp speed, I'd be concerned with the amount of pressure building up in the exhaust system. No ?

That is kindof what I concluded too. I investigated the Jake Brake to see if that would shed some light on the subject, but it really didn't as it doesn't work by blocking exhaust, but releasing compression. I think the heat alone of the exhaust approach would dissuade me from attempting it.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #137  
That is kindof what I concluded too. I investigated the Jake Brake to see if that would shed some light on the subject, but it really didn't as it doesn't work by blocking exhaust, but releasing compression. I think the heat alone of the exhaust approach would dissuade me from attempting it.

I don't know if they cut the exhaust of totally or not. There is a exhaust shutoff that is used as a brake on diesel pick up trucks.

D-Celerator Diesel Exhaust Brake

Diesel exhaust brakes and retarders, heavy duty diesel exhaust brakes

Personally I would worry about the pressure build up on older exhaust systems.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #138  
I don't know if they cut the exhaust of totally or not. There is a exhaust shutoff that is used as a brake on diesel pick up trucks.

D-Celerator Diesel Exhaust Brake

Diesel exhaust brakes and retarders, heavy duty diesel exhaust brakes

Personally I would worry about the pressure build up on older exhaust systems.

Thanks! That was very helpful. Between the two links, I saw pressures in the 20- to 60 psi range listed, and that is for braking, not for stalling, so your links suggest that stalling a runaway diesel by exhaust means is not going to work well, if at all. I forgot about turbo waste gates, but the thread reminded me. (My little BX doesn't have a turbo, but many diesels do, obviously.)

The first link put a grin on my face, since I just heard a real life adventure a coworker had in the Mountains of NC. He used to drive a coal truck in the mountains of WV, so he handled it well, and didn't tell his passenger (his son) what was going on.

"You know the score, you're out on the road in your motorhome, pulling your vehicle, and heading to that scenic remote area you've always dreamed of visiting. Or you're loaded to the max with your truck and trailer, headed to the middle of nowhere. Unlike what you would find with your gasoline engine vehicle, your diesel's providing both the terrific power and great fuel mileage for which you bought her. Suddenly, you come upon the steepest downhill grade you've ever encountered. Your heavy load is pushing you faster and faster down that mountain, and you're all but standing on the brakes just to slow down. Not only is there a sheer drop-off along the shoulder of the road, but you can see that traffic is coming to a stop at the bottom of the grade. You're beginning to smell something burning, and realize that your brakes are very close to dangerously overheating...how on earth are you going to get this rig stopped without a disastrous outcome? This is a position that will strike terror into the hearts of even the most seasoned drivers." :shocked: