Safety Tips

/ Safety Tips #11  
John,

You have the right attitude about tractor safety. Thanks for all the excellent links.

BobT.
A Indiana Boy

/ Safety Tips #15  
What a site, Andy! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as I browsed through the pictures -- so I did both. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Got some answers to a few questions that have been kicking around in the back of my mind, though. For example, what would happen if I souped up my hydraulic system to increase my lifting power? This picture says it all. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Safety Tips #17  
[/b]No matter what your color is,
Accidents are Colorblind…[/b]

<font color=blue>A 39-year-old farmer and vocational agricultural instructor was loading hay onto wagon on a side hill. The wagon was unattached to the tractor. It started to roll backwards. Farmer downhill from the wagon raised front-end loader of tractor to stop rolling. Wagon kept coming and overturned the tractor killing him instantly. The victim's 11-year-old son, riding with his father, was thrown off and crushed his arm; his13-year-old son was an eyewitness and ran for help.</font color=blue>

Tractor Rollover Fatalities

<font color=orange>A 61-year-old farmer was using a tractor with front end loader to push down a tree that had partially blown down last winter. Using the loader bucket he pushed on the tree, it came loose from its base and fell towards the tractor, knocking the man backwards off his tractor seat. The man received massive internal chest injuries and died within a few minutes. His son saw the accident and called the ambulance. </font color=orange>

Front End Loader Fatalities

<font color=green>36-year-old worker at a farm seed company was inside a grain bin in process of emptying the bin of grain. The man's pant leg got caught in the auger, and it spun him around 6-7 times before it was shut off. Each time around the man's head hit the concrete wall or floor causing fatal head injuries. He was air-lifted to a regional hospital, but died later that day.</font color=green>

Auger Related Fatalities

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Safety Tips #18  
John,
Its a shame that these accident indeed do happen and shall continue to happen,but lets hope all ages will learn from the accidents and forward these sad events to others by any means.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Safety Tips #19  
Thank you all for all the info. Last October my neighbor was cought in a PTO shaft that was driving a grain auger. Thank God two helpers were around the corner, heard the scream followed by the tractor loading down. He was air lifted to shock-trama in Baltimore. It was touch and go there for a while, he almost lost use of an eye. Many operations later he's back to getting around. Scars will last a long time.

Again it was just the harvest time, hurry up and get it done, shaft guards were not in place - no time for that now - we have corn to combine. Ask him how he feels about it now! I still worry about the Highschool kids he hires to help at harvest time.

I'm a volunteer leader for our 4H club and you keep stressing safety, but it dosen't hit home till it's too late and someone you know is injured or killed.

John - thanks for the resources on tractor safety. Our 4H group WILL be going over it next Tuesday (again).