Same old GreenHorn Question!

/ Same old GreenHorn Question! #41  
Larry -

I agree with you that there are many attachments that require much more hydraulic flow than is going to be supplied by the general class of CUT that are under consideration in this thread. That said, I'm going to stand behind my comments. I think my words were pretty carefully chosen: <font color="blue">"The hydraulic system itself doesn't really come into play too much; most tractors seem to have around a 2,500 PSI working pressure" </font>; especially when taken in the context in which they were expressed. Again, my comments were intended to apply to the type/size of tractor Rich or others have mentioned: Montana 2740, Case DX29, NHTC35, JD, Mahindra 2615/3015, JD-990, Kubota Grand L, etc. I feel that any of these machines will have adequate hydraulic flow to power any of his current or likely future needs, certainly including the loader and a front grapple, but also a backhoe as well. I just don't feel that this sentiment lends itself very well to being judged "totally true" or not "totally true".

As to: <font color="blue"> "It is just your logging operation where hydraulic GPM doesn't seem to be important for your personal uses" </font>: please bear in mind that the vast majority of the time, Rich is going to be using his tractor for the exact same purposes for which I use mine; namely, residential tree work. My intention in making my comments about hydraulic flow was to give Rich one less thing to concern himself with, since any of the tractors he has in mind will most likely give him all the flow he needs for what he's going to be doing.

John

/ Same old GreenHorn Question!
Everyone! I am starting to think I have it figured out here somewhat, and that has made some changes in my previous thinking, Correct me if I am wrong in anyones oppinion please, If I purchase any well built tractor brand and it has the horse power of at least 35, that I can grow into it , the lifting cap. might be little different from brand to brand but not by so much to influince me into that certain machine. So if the lifting cap. with bucket and or grapple is at least 1000lbs I think I would be doing pretty good, seems that you cant get that lift in anything lesser that a 35 horse tractor. Any suggestions on turf as far as Turf tires versus Industrial? So then I have the payment issue, buy used = no warranty but lower price, shorter financing, buy new = have warranty higher price longer financing. Boy they gotcha dont they If you have it , it seems to make the new purchase choice! any suggestions? Rich

/ Same old GreenHorn Question! #43  
Rich -- I just got back from the Ohio Power Show, looked at a lot of machinery. FWIW, my FIL, who has been around tractors making a living with them since he got back from WWII, thought the Mahindra looked the best of what we saw there. Keep in mind this is a Ford guy, having a 4000, a 5000, and a 9000 series when he quit farming.

Anyways, among the stuff I saw there was a neat little add on grapple that fits on a loader bucket without adding a lot of weight. I posted the address on the "Power Show" thread. You might want to look into getting a Quick Attach feature on your loader that takes skid loader implements. There are all kinds of useful things you can hang on there from hydraulic shears to pallet forks. Keep in mind that skid loaders generally can handle much heavier loads than CUTs so when you look at attachments for the thing, let them know it's for a tractor. It'll save you several hundred pounds that can be useful for picking things up. They had grapples there that my tractor wouldn't lift empty!

another Rich (daTeacha)