Same old GreenHorn Question!

/ Same old GreenHorn Question! #31  
Hiya Ryno -

Excellent post, thanks. Just wanted you to know that I didn't have you in mind at all when I mentioned "bashing". I'm still smarting a bit from some recent heat I've taken recently for expressing certain opinions in past posts, but that wasn't directed to you at all. (That little episode has been very well resolved amongst most of the parties involved, but I had to sing "Kumbaya" until I strained my vocal cords - feeling much better now). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And while I pretty much do "bleed orange", I have a very warm place in my heart for NH's and JD's. Also those tanks known as Kiotis, and the beefy, no-nonsense Mahindra. Don't know enough about many of the other brands, but it's a rare tractor that's a piece of junk, and not capable of doing a heck of a job for a long, long time.

I test-drove a NH TC33 hydro when I was shopping, and I loved it. Very smooth, and it felt like a part of me. And I was this close to getting a JD 5320 until I zeroed in on the 5030. All great tractors. And I can't wait to check out a JD Twenty series. If I were in the market for a cab tractor, it'd probably be mean and <font color="green">green. </font>

Here's to peace among owners of tractors of all colors, but especially among people of all colors -

John

/ Same old GreenHorn Question!
Hey guys,
In my few days on TBN , I had not idea what I was getting myself into, I must say between CTtreeguy and Ryno and the others as well who have been in touch trying to help out with all their advice and concerns, YOU Guys all have personalities and a hellof a sence of humor that could be quite entertaining ! I got alot more than what I bargained for joing TBN , I must say This is pretty cool! Thanks again Rich.

Hey guys,
In my few days on TBN , I had no idea what I was getting myself into, I must say between CTtreeguy and Ryno and the others as well who have been in touch trying to help out with all their advice and concerns, YOU Guys all have personalities and a hellof a sence of humor that could be quite entertaining ! I got alot more than what I bargained for joing TBN , I must say This is pretty cool! Thanks again Rich.

/ Same old GreenHorn Question! #34  
<font color="blue">Speaking of price, I got my 5030 with 853 loader, turfs, HD bucket w/cutting edge and a block heater for $24,950. For what this machine can do, I think that's a bargain. </font>

What year is your tractor?

RedDog

/ Same old GreenHorn Question! #35  
Hi RedDog -

I got it in April 2004 from Salem (NY) Farm Supply. You raise an interesting point - namely, would they quote me the same price today that they did 20 months ago. Seems to me we've had a steel price hike (or two?) since then, so maybe that price is "history".

They were almost $3,000 cheaper than my local dealer, and I didn't "haggle" with them, I just asked them for their "best price", one shot at selling me a tractor, same as I did with the other 3-4 dealers I contacted.

I think there's a good chance of saving a lot of money on a tractor purchase if you go through a higher-volume dealer, know EXACTLY what you want right down to the block heater, don't ask a lot of questions, and keep the deal as simple as possible for them. In about a 3-minute phone call, I told them I already had a few prices and asked them to fax me a quote; they probably knew where I got the quotes, knew what they had to do to sell me a tractor, and did it. I don't know what they paid for the tractor, but maybe they looked at it as making $700-1,000 for a 3-minute phone call.

Speaking of "haggling", and my general dislike of it (although it does sometimes have its place), I loved this thread: Dealers on this site and cheap customers; great discussion on when to haggle, and when not to. (When to haggle - when you're looking at a used car and the seller is asking $5,000 or best offer, and you think it's worth less than that. When not to haggle - at the grocery store, with your mechanic, or with me, when I just gave you a price on a tree job). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

/ Same old GreenHorn Question! #36  
I figured your tractor had to be newer than mine. I was just doing a little comparison with it to mine since you had the price in there.

RedDog

Hey John , what is the lifting capacity on your 5030? and does it matter what loader is on there? like you have the 853 , different tractors with same horse will work but the loaders are different? Hydraulic system different? what is it with the kubota over another tractor same specs? Other than personal preference? Rich.

And is there anyone who has any experiance with Montana Tractors? Montana Dealers, Performance, pricing anything! I think the desicion is still leaning towards the Montana but not sure now about the 2740 due to the probable lack in power for implements later like the grapple CT Tree has so back to the wallet,bank and drawing board,If I end up spending much more well then I can get any of them, just looking for more info .What size tractor or horse power is enough? for me.

/ Same old GreenHorn Question! #39  
Hi Rich -

Kubota rates its loaders by kilogram, so an 853 loader = (853 kg. x 2.2 lbs./kg = 1,876 lbs). This is really just a rough guideline - lifting capacity is measured in a lot of different ways, and fully understanding some of them, like "breakout force", can turn your brain to mush in a hurry. In general though, an 853 will pick up more than a 723, period. It's pretty safe to say that the 853 will pick up around (853/723 = 18%) more; then again, my 853 has gotten 3,200 lbs. off the ground, so that 18% all of a sudden is 600 extra pounds of lift.

In the Grand L's, the 3130, 3430 and 3830 take the 723 loader; the 4330, 4630 and 5030 take the 853. As far as how many HP you need, and what tractors come with what loaders, and how much they can pick up ...

Considering a human being can put out one-tenth of a horsepower at full exertion, it's not going to take much machine for you to save yourself a lot of back-breaking work. I'd say to look in the 30-50 HP range, but even a 250 cc quad will make your work easier. Try to get a tractor that will let you pick up at least 1,300 - 1,500 lbs. plus an 800-lb. grapple. Maybe any loader that is rated at 1,500 - 1,600 lbs. at bucket center will do that, if all loaders are rated about 50% under like the Kubotas seem to be. Just go online and study the specs until your eyeballs are ready to fall out, see what loaders pick up what, what models they come on, all that good stuff. But as I said, ANYTHING will be better than doing it manually.

The hydraulic system itself doesn't really come into play too much; most tractors seem to have around a 2,500 PSI working pressure, and gallons per minute never struck me as being a really critical statistic. JD's seem to have more flow than Kubotas, but my hydraulics move plenty fast.

You mentioned something interesting: the fact that (good) used tractors tend not to cost a whole lot less than new ones. With a new one, you get exactly what you want, and once you make a modification to it, it's done, for a long, long time. I didn't want to put a lot of time and money into a used tractor, only to get something else down the road. Lots to think about, and lots of ways to skin this cat. I'm sure we'll talk soon in person, and then it'll be settled - after you drive the tree-bota, you'll have no choice but to get one for yourself. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

/ Same old GreenHorn Question! #40  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi Rich -
The hydraulic system itself doesn't really come into play too much; most tractors seem to have around a 2,500 PSI working pressure, and gallons per minute never struck me as being a really critical statistic. JD's seem to have more flow than Kubotas, but my hydraulics move plenty fast.
John )</font>

This isn't totally true, There are instances where GPM is critical. For instance, I have the L 48 TLB, three pumps, approx, 25 GPM combined.. Certain equip will need more oil than others,., It is just your logging operation where hydraulic GPM doesn't seem to be important for your personal uses