Same R3's or something new?

/ Same R3's or something new? #1  

mercdv

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305
Okay, I hate to admit it but I can't make a freaking decision. I just don't have experience using any other tires so I kind of wanted to pitch this out there and see what people think. I have JD 2305 that I bought 9 years ago and the tires need to be replaced. I bought it with R3 tires because I didn't want to tear up the lawn. The current setup is Carlisle Multi-Trac C/S 18x8.50-10 4-ply on the front and 26x12.00-12 4-ply on the rear. I mainly mow, move heavy items, and dig with the backhoe. I've been pretty pleased with the tires so far but I do have a couple small steep hills (30%+ grade) that cause some problems. We have some wooded portions on our property that are all on hills and have heavy thick leaf coverage on the ground. I haven't ventured in those areas yet but I plan on doing that this year to clear some of it. It also has a lot of thorns in that area. I thought about moving to R4's but I heard they can lead to sliding sideways on wet/sloped terrain when traveling across the grade. Part of the area I mow requires my to travel perpendicular to to the grade and the Multi-Trac have worked pretty well. The tractor gets a little light on me so I know I'm pushing it and the grip needs to be good. I also lift close to the max rating for this tractor from time to time (not often). I'm not even sure I should be doing that with the tires because I haven't calculated the static load on the front tires. The do get squished pretty good.

I guess what I'm asking is should I stay with the Multi-Trac C/S or move to something else? Any suggestions on a good tire if I should switch? I have no experience with another type of tire because I worked on a golf course for years and we just used turf tires there too. I want to make sure I have enough grip not to get stuck on the hills in the loose leaves. The grade on this portion of the property runs from about 10%-20% but it hasn't been cleared before so the leaves are thick and soil is loose.

/ Same R3's or something new? #3  
   / Same R3's or something new? #4  
For all of the bashing that R4 tires get, they have been great performers for me. I have never had issues with them sliding sideways, and they will be the most thorn proof, short of foam filled.

/ Same R3's or something new?
Thanks for the feedback...I'm now waffling more between the R3's and R4's. I guess I'll go down to the local shop and see if they will let me take a lap around the parking lot with a similar size tractor with R4's. Before I was still leaning heavily towards the R3's but now I'm a 50/50 split on the R4's.

/ Same R3's or something new? #6  
Do R3 and R4 use the same rim?I would think new R3's would out grip R4's on a side hill.

/ Same R3's or something new? #7  
See how heavy of a ply rating you can get with R3's... I would see if 6 or 8 ply is possible.

/ Same R3's or something new?
Do R3 and R4 use the same rim?I would think new R3's would out grip R4's on a side hill.

The R-4's should fit my rims according to the specs. I'm starting to lean back towards the R3's. I wanted to get a more aggressive R3 pattern but if I do I can't find anything greater than 4 ply. :(

See how heavy of a ply rating you can get with R3's... I would see if 6 or 8 ply is possible.

After some way too late night research last night, I did find that I could get my current tires in 6 ply with a heavier load rating on the front tires. It comes in at about 225 lbs more per front tire. Which puts it on par with all the R-4's I have found for lifting capacity.

Gah....wish tires weren't so expensive because being stuck with them for a long time just makes this decision that much harder for me.

/ Same R3's or something new? #9  
I understand your cost problem and being stuck with a set of tires for as long as it takes to wear them out, and it is almost like trying to decide between a Good Looking Women and a not so good looking friend, to consider getting married to.
Since you are still in the dating mode, and haven't gotten married yet, remember your friends. One that has been by you when you needed a job done, and performed as requested doesn't need to be cast away for the new version.
However, there may be another choice. Do you have any nearby tractor owners with the style tire you are considering? I would not have a problem letting someone borrow my tires for a weekend if they swapped them out (with $ equal tires) to give them a try. Or if they hauled my tractor (same size as theirs) up to their place just to see if the tires made a difference. Most tractor people understand what you are up against and would like to help.
Take off's...consider calling around and seeing if you can find a set of take-off's either at a dealer or somewhere on the web. You might be able to save a couple dollars and still get the tires you want, along with a set of rims so that if you just really don't like them, you still have a way (with another large chunk of $) to go back to the other tire you were considering. Buying a slightly used set of the "other" tires might give you some time and the answers you are looking for.
David from jax

/ Same R3's or something new? #10  
You don't mention having a FEL. I had a 4010 (2019E by today's nomenclature) with R3s. Then 1025R and 2025R with R4s. The R4s are a lot tougher for using the FEL. Had lots of troubles with the R3s with FEL but they do have better side grip and turning grip. Think with R4s, you need turning brakes to aid the turning, which you don't have.

Ralph