sandblasting abrasive

/ sandblasting abrasive #11  
I use a 5000 psi pressure washer with a rotary nozzle and it gets all the loose stuff, then just paint on ospho to stabalize the rust that is left and paint. Quick and ez.
Rick

/ sandblasting abrasive
Princess auto supplied me with a twenty dollar needle scaler that worked well.

Note: I do not know what a good scaler is like or worth.:)

I almost bought one there this summer, I was just unsure of the quality.
Plus a 7 inch angle grinder with a cup brush will remove rust faster then a needle scaler. (I think)

/ sandblasting abrasive #13  
Well I will be getting one of the cheep siphon sandblasters soon, and I am wondering what abrasive to use. I have a high end 3M cartrage resperator, and I am wondering if it is safe to use silica sand with that, I know all about the hazards of silica sand, but will that make it safe? If not, what other cheep, safe abrasive can to strip paint and rust off of salavaged steel for projects. (the cheeper the better)

I used a gravity feed blaster for a while but once you go to a pressure feed with a tank you will never look back. Lot more pressure, less backup, ac runs less etc.

Pressure feed blasters are not that much. Harbor Freight has them for about $125.00??

/ sandblasting abrasive #15  
Plus a 7 inch angle grinder with a cup brush will remove rust faster then a needle scaler. (I think)
/QUOTE]

Can't comment on the speed of the removal but my wire brushes were always worn out with all the broke off bristtles setting my coveralls or leg. They were also harder to handle. Course I'm not very strong.

With the proper air compressor the needle scaler would be my choice. My air compressor is only 2 HP. , I think, with 2.5 HP on the side and the salesman telling me it was actually rated at three HP. With full pressure it's quite impressive at start up and for the next 15 seconds. Then it slows down to a mediocre rate and takes longer.

The scalers seem to work better on the layered up rust that has real hard sports in it.:)

/ sandblasting abrasive
/QUOTE]

Can't comment on the speed of the removal but my wire brushes were always worn out with all the broke off bristtles setting my coveralls or leg. They were also harder to handle. Course I'm not very strong.

With the proper air compressor the needle scaler would be my choice. My air compressor is only 2 HP. , I think, with 2.5 HP on the side and the salesman telling me it was actually rated at three HP. With full pressure it's quite impressive at start up and for the next 15 seconds. Then it slows down to a mediocre rate and takes longer.

The scalers seem to work better on the layered up rust that has real hard sports in it.:)
I might have to get my self a needle scaler.

/ sandblasting abrasive #17  
http://www.air-compressor.com/mall/Hankison/catali.pdf

You have a filter between you and the supply line, cleaner air than you get walking in the city./QUOTE]

This will be true if the proper type of filter is in use. The chances are this will not be happening in non industrial situations.:)

Take my comments with several grains of salt Deerman as my experience is very limited.:eek:

/ sandblasting abrasive
Well it was a cold rainy day today, so I decided to make a small gravity feed sandblaster, sort of like the speedblaster, out of some copper pipe and fittings, some small threaded tube, and a water bottle for the sand hopper. I tried it, and it worked quite well, I was using normal sand, and it removed rust quite well. I hope this will prove to my father that the small ones dont make too much dust for here, so I can build a bigger, pressure feed one.

/ sandblasting abrasive
Well it did prove it to him, on the weekend we are getting a siphon feed blaster, and I am going to turn it into a pressure assist blaster.

/ sandblasting abrasive #20  
If you can remove the parts and they will fit in a drum or an old tub, you can use molasses thinned with water as a stripper. It works really well and doesn't damage the parts like a mechanical method does. Takes about a week to completely remove moderate rust. Plus the molasses is environmentaly safe.