Sandy mess finally cleaned up

/ Sandy mess finally cleaned up #11  
Thanks. I was/am a long time boater, and sadly am utterly useless when it comes to tying knots, a real problem at times.
And I have been cutting wood since I was a little kid, and I never could get the ends of the pile right. Growing up, we did about seven cord a year, had 70 acres of woods out back, and had such long wood piles
we never worried about the ends.

Now my good friend Bill is an Eagle Scoutmaster and he comes along and fixes up my piles, makes the ends so straight I bet I could put a plumb on it.
Gotta know your limitations...
As you might imagine, Bill is really good with knots too...sigh.

Do you have a pic of how Bill the Eagle Scout fixed your ends? I have always done it like you or pound in a fence post.

/ Sandy mess finally cleaned up
got about half of the tulip poplar trunk cut up, easiest thing I've ever cut, and it was medium heavy, but the weight was all water I'm sure.
And as for getting the ends of the piles straight, my friend Bill was not about to go under the scrutiny of hundreds of online woodhandlers, so he did one layer and told me to do the rest.
And I did and it worked, though not really straight. And I don't think I want to go up much higher either. Basically every two or three layers, change direction and go out to the end.
Using flat split wood seems to work best. I'm sure others have a better system, and I'd sure like to hear it.

Attachments

• P1010771 (2).jpg
    P1010771 (2).jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 146
  • P1010767 (2).jpg
    P1010767 (2).jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 114
  • P1010768 (2).jpg
    P1010768 (2).jpg
    1,018.9 KB · Views: 110
  • P1010769 (2).jpg
    P1010769 (2).jpg
    872.8 KB · Views: 121
   / Sandy mess finally cleaned up #13  
Basically every two or three layers, change direction and go out to the end.
Using flat split wood seems to work best. I'm sure others have a better system, and I'd sure like to hear it.
That's close to how I do it. I change directions every layer. Choose split, fairly straight pieces. Put larger pieces on the outside of each layer and infill with smaller ones so the next layer rests solidly on the outside ones.

Terry

/ Sandy mess finally cleaned up #14  
daugen,
Looks pretty good, if it will dry out and stay put what else would it need.

making progress, now on tulip tree and woods fall downs, and testing a new log sawing holder for smaller stuff.
This one does not use chains, and is of Swedish design. And built far, far away from Sweden, but the box at least was slathered
with "From Sweden" and "Designed in Sweden", which is an immediate tip off it's not built there, anymore. Not cheap, but I was
very pleased with the construction, almost no assembly required, and nicely finished, and so far pretty stable and useful. Will be put to the test tomorrow.

Got the main pile covered with plastic, likely to build another pile this size around the building's corner.
Then I will hopefully look at these piles and know I've got a year or two supply aging nicely for me.
Funny, this rack of wood is very different than what you buy. Much greater variety of sizes and types.
Which as anyone who has tried to get his fireplace going with nothing but big logs to use, will know the challenges.
So it's nice to have some little stuff mixed in with larger hunks of white oak.

everything is muddy here, so I figured it was time to do some sawing. Tired of splitting wood, so just changing routines for awhile. Using a larger chain saw is
not good on my back at all, and I'm hoping the log stand will help with reducing the bending over.

Attachments

• P1010808.jpg
    P1010808.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • P1010809.jpg
    P1010809.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • P1010811.jpg
    P1010811.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
   / Sandy mess finally cleaned up #16  
Makes great kindling.
good advice, thanks.
Now what do I do with seventy feet of kindling?
Better rethink my storage plans.

I think you need to buy a Kindle. Isn't that what they use?

:)

Bruce

the coffee is still brewing, that's my excuse, and I reread your sentence twice Bruce, and then it finally dawned on me. I bought my wife a Kindle and we hardly use it, maybe I'm loading the wrong stuff in it...:)

Yesterday I loaned my log splitter to a brother in law who lost some big trees on his farm. I took one look at his amazing piles of wood, and said "see you in a week". All storm damage wood.

Attachments

• Leydon wood Dec 2012.jpg
    Leydon wood Dec 2012.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 110
   / Sandy mess finally cleaned up #18  
daugen,
Sorry about the damage and lost trees, I know that is a lot of work to clean up the mess. Hopefully you will have this cleaned up soon and have some seasoned fire wood for next year. We lost about 250 homes in a forest fire in my locale this year so I understand what you are having to deal with. Good luck with it.

duplicate

daugen,
Sorry about the damage and lost trees, I know that is a lot of work to clean up the mess. Hopefully you will have this cleaned up soon and have some seasoned fire wood for next year. We lost about 250 homes in a forest fire in my locale this year so I understand what you are having to deal with. Good luck with it.

thanks. As far as I'm concerned, if the tree fell and didn't hit a house, or hurt someone, it's unfortunate, but as long as it's not an evergreen, the "firewood" sign lights up for me. One of these days I'm going to drive off the road looking at downed trees ignored on people's property, all that potential firewood. Or is the right word now "biomass"...

I can't imagine being in a forest fire exposure, nor a tornado one either. That whole community that burned down in NYC must have been plain awful.
Things seem calmer here, but with Gloobal Wandering, I supposed that won't last.

Yes, we have firewood "out the ying yang" or the "wazoo" or whatever local term works. And I'm happy to keep stacking...
Actually I'm headed to my local dealer this morning for a second Echo saw, this one a 600 with a 24 bar. My 450-18 will cut this big stuff, but too hard on me.