Savage Axis or Ruger American

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #21  
Not to throw a kink in things, but if I were looking for rifle for my son like that, I would check used for a Savage-99 in 243... That is a fine, fine combination... 1.5-5 scope on top. That would be an excellent combination.

Don't mean to pop your bubble, but I believe the 99 was discontinued years ago. And, while it's a great rifle, they're not inexpensive.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #22  
No bubble popped. Yes, discontinued, but a fine, fine rifle. Have seen used in local shops with reasonable scope.

Don't mean to pop your bubble, but I believe the 99 was discontinued years ago. And, while it's a great rifle, they're not inexpensive.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #23  
Well, not sure what your opinion of what expensive is, especially for a Sub-MOA rifle, but the best rifles I have ever shot have been Weatherbys. I have a .270 in the Vanguard series that I have taken deer in Colorado out easily to 350 yards plus, and it drives nails at 100 yrds. I have a Mark V Series in .340 used for bear, moose, or sometimes elk. You can find a number of used on sale for decent prices also. Here is Weatherbys web site with a synthetic Vanguard
Vanguard Series 2 Synthetic | Weatherby.com

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American
Thanks BandRRanch - I will take a look! Definitely for something smaller than a .340 - that sucker will "kick" my 12 YOA right out of the tree...

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #25  
I am still looking at all my options. I like the Savage due to the better accuracy (seems that most reviews are showing GREAT accuracy) but find a few short comings. The Rugar seems well built but the accuracy is a bit less from the reviews I have seen (and to be honest I had a .308 Ruger All Weather and I was not to fond of it, the gun just would not shoot.) I am now exploring some of the other options you all have mentioned.

I am looking for an inexpensive rifle due to the very light usage it will get. I thinking it will get used 2-3 times a year then just sit. I have a tuned and built Rock River Arms bull barrel rifle I use a lot (we can hunt with semi's here) and don't mind spending extra on top quality if I am planning to really use it. I personally am not a big deer hunter but figure my son wants to go and give it a try (he is 12) so I want to get something he can use and I can use if I want it for Coyotes if I don't want to take my RRA. If down the road he gets into it I will buy him a better rifle and just keep this one for when I want a light weight rifle, if he does not get into deer hunting, no problem at least he got a chance at it and we have something different to shoot from time to time.

My big hang up on rifles is accuracy, I can live with so so looks, decent finishes, and things like that but I demand sub MOA. I know in a deer rifle it is not as important and 1 MOA is plenty but after 4 years of shooting collegiate rifle it just kills me if a gun wont shoot. Heck I can even learn to live with a so so trigger if I can still pull a decent group.

Thanks for all the opinions and options, I am now looking at several other calibers. One thing is I doubt we will do any handloading. I used to do a LOT of handloading years ago but now between work, family and the property I just don't seem to have the time so I think we will be sticking with factory loads just for simplicity. That is one of the reasons I am leaning a little more toward the "standard" calibers (AKA the ones I can always find at Wal Mart if I need them).

I own a .260, a 7-08, a .270, a 6.5 x 55, a .243 and several others as well... A .260 is what I started my son with at 8 years old, he had no probs with recoil, he has also hunted with .243 and with 7-08... All would be fine for deer hunting, remember to get a premium bonded type bullet...as a side note Remington "legitimized" the .260 but has now discontinued production of the caliber...IMHO even though the .260 is both my, and my son's favorite, you should probably avoid the caliber due to common availability of good factory ammo...that opinion changes if you take time to build a good hand load, then IMHO the .260 is one of the very best for whitetail sized game....second choice is 7-08 followed by Jack O'Conner's favorite, the .270....out of the box, the savage and Remington are among the best but you won't go wrong with just about any of the major manufacturers...personally, although they build fantastic guns I avoid weatherbys due to proprietary calibers/ammo...just my :2cents: worth...

Rich

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #26  
Also looking to purchase a gun for my daughter. Thinking seriously about the Howa model 1500 25-06. The price is right and almost all the reviews are good. I also like the 25-06 for the recoil. She's been shooting a 30/30 and the recoil is similar but need distance shots that the 30/30 can't handle. I also like the price tag of $325.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #27  
Also looking to purchase a gun for my daughter. Thinking seriously about the Howa model 1500 25-06. The price is right and almost all the reviews are good. I also like the 25-06 for the recoil. She's been shooting a 30/30 and the recoil is similar but need distance shots that the 30/30 can't handle. I also like the price tag of $325.
The 25/06 is my favorite deer round.I own two, a Remington BDL and a T/C Encore.I hand-load with Nosler Partition bullets.I have made successful shots from 10-300 yards.The only experience I had with How was in .270 and found them to be a little heavy for my taste;function and accuracy were fine.

To follow up:
We ended up with a full brush camo .243 Savage Axis (Stock, Barrel and scope all camo - some Cabelas exclusive version) for a bit over $400 on a sale. I have a Savage Predator in .223 and this way my boys gun, looks just like mine as he says (If you have a kid it will make sense)
After our tests I learned a few things... It SHOOTS - no problem getting 1 M.O.A., Recoil is no problem for him (he weights about 95 lbs), of course .243 is very easy to find anywhere around us, the scope is decent - not a Leopold or Nikon but great for a 12 YOA.
The only part I don't care for is the trigger, it is a bit tight. I do understand there are a few things I can do to make it better but have not got into that yet. For the money I think it is a great firearm for the price and most importantly he loves it.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #29  
Nice ! Bet he's proud of it ! I've got a kid so I understand...now, I hope he shoots a good buck !

Rich

Thanks! We may get out some Monday evening to practice a bit more - still working on trigger control and follow through. You are right, he is VERY proud, had to call his granddad soon as we got in the house the first night from shooting to tell him all about it! Nice to see him so excited and trying SO hard to be safe and do everything correctly.