Sawmill Trailer build

/ Sawmill Trailer build #1  

HP942

Silver Member
Tractor
LS XJ2025H
I am contemplating building a trailer to mount my bandsaw mill on. I ran across a deal on some 3” C Channel 1/4 “ thick. I was planning on using the channel for the long main beams as well as the cross members. I’m assuming it would be sturdy enough. The mill and track itself weighs less than 800 lbs. My Ranger boat trailer is made out of 3” channel and my boat is way heavier than the mill. I’m attaching a sample photo of what the finished product should look like. Thoughts? TIA

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpeg
    IMG_1509.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 145
   / Sawmill Trailer build #2  
3" is small. Probably fine for occasional slow speed use around the property and short road trips. The issue I see is your setup to saw and the loading of logs on the mill. I think that you'll need an awful lot of support, like every 3' or so. That's a lot of Jack's or blocking to deal with.
Does woodland (or your mills manufacture) offer a trailer kit? Studying their version should be some help. 👍

/ Sawmill Trailer build #3  
Not saying the 3" Cx1/4" Would be a problem; however I think 2x4x1/4" or even 2x3x3/16" tube would resist twisting much better when sawing and transporting.

/ Sawmill Trailer build #4  
Agree with above. Get some heavy (4" or larger) box tube and use that. My mill is on the trailer from woodland mills, and it has very little resistance to twisting. Channel/angle won't resist the twist, and you'll spend more time trying to level it.

If you don't mind some extra time leveling, the channel would work just fine. It's obviously not an issue structurally.

/ Sawmill Trailer build #5  
I feel for you on those woodland mills. I've had some experience setting them up and even working with them. My father evaluated them when they first came out. Horrible compared to most others he has sold. He sent them back. Terrrible fit up, loose stuff and never cut really true....soft metal, wheels plug up and the list can go on. Hope you have good luck, but people are always calling him either wanting to trade or wanting ideas how to fix them. Latest issues seem the bearings fall out due to the way the shaft is supported with them. As far as track, I've built a lot for different mills. The best is rectangular tubing with angle on top. The channel will work, but you will need to "bridge" it under neath by creating a second run, with a small spacer periodically underneath at least 2/3 of the way from center or you will have sagging issues...even with jacks.

/ Sawmill Trailer build #6  
I feel for you on those woodland mills. I've had some experience setting them up and even working with them. My father evaluated them when they first came out. Horrible compared to most others he has sold. He sent them back. Terrrible fit up, loose stuff and never cut really true....soft metal, wheels plug up and the list can go on. Hope you have good luck, but people are always calling him either wanting to trade or wanting ideas how to fix them. Latest issues seem the bearings fall out due to the way the shaft is supported with them. As far as track, I've built a lot for different mills. The best is rectangular tubing with angle on top. The channel will work, but you will need to "bridge" it under neath by creating a second run, with a small spacer periodically underneath at least 2/3 of the way from center or you will have sagging issues...even with jacks.
Huh, I haven't noticed most of the issues you are saying with my Woodland mill. Maybe they've made improvements? Bought mine in 2020, it went together easily and it's been fairly trouble free.

I'm sure I could have spent more money and had an improved mill, but like I mentioned in my first post my biggest regret is not building my own trailer. I get why they designed it the way that they did though, so they could ship it.

/ Sawmill Trailer build #7  
How do you plan on raising and lowering the saw head? Crank looks out of reach.

/ Sawmill Trailer build
I‘ve decided to go a different route on the trailer build and look for some heavier material. I had a Baker Wood Buddy bandmill for years, it served me well. The Woodland Mills is a much “nicer” unit if set up correctly. I don’t plan on building my trailer too tall.

/ Sawmill Trailer build #9  
I just set my mill on my implement trailer and go! When done I set it off and back in the shed. Saves all that leveling and messing around. True it ties up the trailer BUT I dont use it that often anyway so it works for me.