Sawmill. What do I need to know.

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know.
Rob has a Norwood mill iirc.

I have no experience with Norwood equipment but years ago when I was looking at their tractors I was not impressed. But when budget is an issue, and it is, and when use will be light, then a Norwood might be the ticket. I will certainly give them a look.

I've had the band mill itch for a long, long time and never really understood why Woodmizer is so popular.

Well, there is no doubt that they are tops in marketing. That is not a knock on them. The level of marketing is not in itself and indicator of poor quality. The other possibility is that they might be good. Of the three or four saw mills that I know of locally all of them are WM and all are old and still in use.

A friend has one and is constantly having electrical "issues" and the cantilever design has always been a big "why" for me, one "leg" is inherently unstable and not long ago WM introduced a 4 legged mill. :confused3:

None of the current base model WMs are cantilever. They either have two legs or four. Nothing wrong with 4 which is what the lowest end model has. None of the models I'd be considering have any electronics outside of the Kohler engine.

just like when Chevy switched to holding up a 4x4 truck with torsion bars:confused2:, just not for me but there are plenty of folks with WM saws and GM trucks.

The WWII German Panther tanks used them. I think my 03 Ford had them up front. So did my 84 Nissan. No problems. Its just a spring, and very adjustable when needed.

Anyway, I'm not focused on any one brand. I do want it to be a brand with at least some regional representation. There is a dealer about an hour from here that carries Wood-Mizer and Timbery saw mills. Never heard of Timbery.

Sawyer Rob, I'll look into Norwood and Ez Boardwalk.

I do not mind spending more on a tool if it is worth the money. On the other hand, I love finding a low cost alternative to high end stuff, as long as it is worth the savings.

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #32  
Norwood doesn't now, nor has it ever made tractors!!

SR

Maybe Norwood saw mills is a different company from the one that used to make the low end tractors. I went to their website. It is awful. You can't get any information on the different models without sending them your contact info. I'm not going to do that but I will see if I can find a dealer.

Never mind, I found the link.

Comparing the lowest end Wood-Mizer and Norwood mills, the WM appears cheaper but the Norwood comes with an adjustable saw guide and more powerful motor. When you spec the WM the same as the Norwood, the price is the same. The two mills are very similar when spec'd the same. I think the Norwood's adjustable feet look more robust than the WM.

Will certainly look at both of these models.

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #35  
Exactly what two models are you talking about?

I've milled on the WM10 and the lower cost Norwood mills...

SR

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #36  
Are you confusing Norwood sawmills with Nortrac tractors, by any chance? The latter is sold by Northern Tool, but I've never seen one in the wild.

Are you confusing Norwood sawmills with Nortrac tractors, by any chance? The latter is sold by Northern Tool, but I've never seen one in the wild.

Yes..

Exactly what two models are you talking about?

I've milled on the WM10 and the lower cost Norwood mills...

SR

I was looking at the Lumberman MN26. Going to look for a dealer in the region.

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #39  
There are trade shows where many mill manufacturers set up. I was lucky in they had one 35 miles up the road one year.

Update:

Took delivery of a Woodland Mills HM126 with the extended trailer. My daughter and her husband went in half with us. Why Woodland Mills? Several reasons:

1) Cost. For a basic mill they are one of the lowest priced manufacturers. After deciding that I did need it to be on a trailer, cost was a real issue. The basic Woodmizers and Norwoods on trailers cost a lot more.

2) Availability. Woodmizer is currently backed up for at least 44 weeks. When I contacted them a few months ago and told them I could pick it up myself they said it would probably be more than 44 weeks. I had to wait about two months for the Woodland Mills. And to be clear, impatience was not the driving factor. I am seriously concerned that supply chain issues are going to get much worse before they get better. My wife agreed and said get something right away. We are not "preppers" but we do pay attention.

3) I like the basic 4 post design of the WM mills. I like the simplicity of their designs.

4) The company. I think most people understand that Woodland Mills saw mills are not the top of the heap, especially in terms of options and special features. However, I have heard over and over again that they are great people to deal with and a company that stands by its products. They are constantly refining things based on feedback and the reputation of their customer service is very good. So far they have been stellar to deal with.

Someone mentioned dealing with all the scraps. We also got a pto chipper from them. It will handle up to 6" material.

As for log handling we have already been felling trees and the Kubota L400 with pallet forks clamped onto the bucket work fine. I have ordered a skidding hook. I have a landscape rake which you can drop the rake off of which just leaves a boom behind the tractor. Will chain the skidding hook to the middle of that boom. Have been skidding with choke chains behind the box blade up until now. Will say how the jury rigged set up will work.

Anyway, I appreciate all the advice that you guys provided and will update with our experiences with the mill. Will assemble it this weekend.

As a side note, this mill is not intended as a money maker. It will be a hobby and the labor will be enjoyed. When it is no longer useful or we no longer need lumber we will sell it.