SC Man dies loading tractor onto trailer (link)

/ SC Man dies loading tractor onto trailer (link) #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
Wow, there has been a rash of equipment related accidents here in SC lately. It's the 4th one I've read of or heard of that involved 3 different tractors, one backhoe, and three deaths (one was a lady killed when she hit an attachment on the back of a tractor in her car and ran off the road and hit a tree). Not much info on this latest incident to understand how it actually happened. No pictures at the link either.

SC Man Dies Plowing Field Near Lancaster | wltx.com

LANCASTER, S.C. (AP) - A 72-year-old man from Gilbert has died after he was crushed by his tractor after he plowed a field in Lancaster County.

Coroner Mike Morris says James Staehr was alone Friday afternoon when he was crushed.
Morris says Staehr was trying to load the tractor on to a trailer when it slipped off and pinned him underneath.
The coroner says the tractor was still attached to the plow, and likely was too heavy in the back, causing it to fall over.

/ SC Man dies loading tractor onto trailer (link) #2  
Sounds like a sadly avoidable accident. Not enough info but very well could be that the plow got hooked on something or dug into the ground and the tractor went over backwards. I've also seen some guys run up the ramps rather quickly because they don't like the rear of the truck being lifted when the rear of the trailer isn't supported.

It is a sad day for hat guy's family!

/ SC Man dies loading tractor onto trailer (link) #3  
I wonder if he lost steering due to the weight of the plow as he crested the trailer ramps. The loss of steering control could let the tractor go too far to one side or the other on the trailer deck.

Last edited:
   / SC Man dies loading tractor onto trailer (link) #4  
I've done a bit of trailer surfing. I had a old trailer, and I was using 2 blocks of wood for support, the support dropped out, and I slid sideways, nearly turned it over. One thing, if you have a heavy implement mounted on the 3 point hitch, you need to bring it all the way up, so it doesn't drag on the ground as you go up the ramp. However, this does tend to raise youre COG......

Btw, when I went surfing, I had a very heavy 2 / 16 plow on the back, raised all the way up.

/ SC Man dies loading tractor onto trailer (link) #5  
I have done some trailer surfing too. My wife was trying to help and uncoupled the trailer from the bumper hitch on the truck before I unloaded the tractor with out me knowing. Trailer and tractor went up at a 45 degree angle when I tried to back the tractor off the trailer. I literally had to crawl on my stomach across the hood of the tractor to the front of the trailer. With her and me standing on the front of the trailer we were able to couple the trailer back to the bumper hitch. It was an innocent mistake on her part. These things happen quickly. I was lucky to get a second chance.