Buying Advice Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #11  
I went out of my way to find a mower with a Kawasaki Engine instead of Kohler or Briggs, glad I did, it has been flawless. Definitely not a mower issue but an engine issue you have there.

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #12  
Yep, I also have a Walker 48ghs with a 23hp Kohler. .. I know the motor is going to check out before the rest of the machine. But there is no other gas option with Walker. If they had a Kawi.. They would be bulletproof.

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR
TO Follow up my mower problem:

Dealer repair shop delivered the mower today and all worked as it should.

The shop found a bad ground and went through the carb but they are not sure what the major problem was.
Also a factory rep came out and showed them a few things.
All of this should have happened several months ago.

Only time will tell if the mower is reliable.

Overall I would say Scag needs to see that the dealer mechanics are better trained.

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #14  
The Kohler engines have a solenoid in the carb to shut off the gas flow at shut-down. If there is a leak, the engine will backfire. Look for vacuum leaks as well as fuel bypassing the solenoid.

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #15  
There are few types of threads I usually won't drop in and give my two bits...."crap" threads are one of them.....but I felt this one needed a drive by.

I highly doubt that the mower you have is "crap"....sure it could be but I doubt it. More likely you have a dealer network that is not giving you good support.

My main reason for this drive by is to suggest something that I have not seen yet.

CALL SCAG.

Pretty simple....and put sugar on it when you call, start calling names and using terms like crap is going to get you nowhere fast. You have these problems, you have taken it here and here on these dates, this is how the machine ran after being at shop x and shop y. Can you help me, you know this is quality equipment, you just think the dealer has been challenged by the problems with your machine and could use some corporate help.

I would bet push come to shove that dealer will get some calls, and Scagg might even send someone down to look at it themselves.

See ya.

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #16  
I have a Toro ZTR with a much smaller Kohler engine, and my dealer also told me to shut it off at full throttle to prevent the backfire. My owner's manual says to move the throttle to "between Fast and half throttle" and turn off the key. Actually, that only works part of the time. But I finally found the way to shut if off without a backfire EVERY TIME! When I are ready to kill the engine, I pull the throttle back to idle, then shove it forward to full throttle and immediately turn off the key as the engine is spooling up. Under those conditions, it NEVER backfires.

No guarantee it'll work on your machine, but try it, I think you'll like it.

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #19  
Mathematically.....how do you usually figure....

:laughing:
:p

Exactly ... it's almost as absurd and impossible to quantify as sometime saying "Kubota makes the best tractors under 50 HP" ... and then giving a reason like "they're the most popular." That would be like saying McDonald's makes the world's best hamburgers because they sell the most.

Now, if someone said "Scag makes the best mowers because they're the most Orange sherbert'ish color of all the brands and science has proven that Orange sherbert is the best cutting color possible" then hey, I can't argue with science.

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #20  
My current nearest Kubota dealer (biggest in north Texas, I guess, with several locations) also sells Scag ZTRs. The salesman told me, quite some time ago, that Kubota is best, if you want diesel engine, and Scag is best, if you want gasoline engine. Of course, since that's what he sells, you'd expect him to say that, but I also suspect he just might be right.;)