Scagg TigerCat

/ Scagg TigerCat #11  
What motor is in your TigerCat? I have a 61" I bought a couple months ago with the 27hp Kohler. It only had 92 hours on it when I bought it but it's been great so far this season. It does, however, occasionally back fire when I shut it down.

/ Scagg TigerCat #12  
What motor is in your TigerCat? I have a 61" I bought a couple months ago with the 27hp Kohler. It only had 92 hours on it when I bought it but it's been great so far this season. It does, however, occasionally back fire when I shut it down.

If you idle it down, and let it run at an idle for a short time before shutting it off, it may not backfire.

/ Scagg TigerCat
If you idle it down, and let it run at an idle for a short time before shutting it off, it may not backfire.

I have the same engine as you list, the 27hp Kohler. Mine also backfired from the day I bought it and I have read where the backfire was common with this engine when shutting it off.

I too tried letting the engine idle before shutting it off with just minimum results. My dealer repair shop replaced my carb to stop the backfire and the mower seemed to be good for about 30 minutes of mowing. After that the engine has never run right through at least 3 trips back to the shop. It is still there today.

/ Scagg TigerCat
Mower is still in the shop and no word from the repair shop after 4 days.
This has been going on since January.

I am "beginning" to think I should have purchased another make of mower.

/ Scagg TigerCat #15  
What about Scag rep? What is Scag doing/saying they will do for you? What have you asked them to do for you? Have you asked for a replacement mower or $ back?

/ Scagg TigerCat
What about Scag rep? What is Scag doing/saying they will do for you? What have you asked them to do for you? Have you asked for a replacement mower or $ back?

I have talk to a Scag rep one time and he was going to call the dealer repair shop to give assistance. That was before I picked up the mower and returned it the same day (last Monday). I later was told the mower was ready and when I went to pick it up, the mower still had a problem so I left it. That was last Monday. The repair shop said Scagg has offered to extend the warranty for another year covering only the problems that I have had.
I have not spoken with the factory rep but the one time .
I did ask to trade the mower in on another new Tiger Cat and was told they would allow me $4000 on the $8000 mower I bought less than two years ago. (now 23 months ago) Not any kind of a deal to me. If Scagg does not do better with this unit on a trade or money back, I most likely will trade the mower off, if I ever get it back. I see no reason to buy a new Scagg. I need a mower that I can get service on.

/ Scagg TigerCat #17  
gmccall,
You want/need more than another year warranty- you want it fixed NOW, to work as intended, without further delay.
Don't settle for anything less and get the factory rep back on the line, and involved in the resolution process. Otherwise you could miss another mowing season with $8K invested in a piece of machinery you cannot use. Find out exactly what they plan to do to fix it and when. Be polite but stern, and follow up every conversation with email confirming your understanding of what they tell you, promise to you, like the warranty extension. Steady pressure kept on, no letting up.

/ Scagg TigerCat
Dealer called this morning and said they are working on the mower. Their mechanic has been out for a death in the family.

I have ask for the extended warranty in writing and even a new mower.

/ Scagg TigerCat
Dealer shop was to have called me with status yesterday afternoon or this morning.

No call yet.

clock is a ticking............................

/ Scagg TigerCat #20  
Were they able to figure it out?

I am in the market and had it narrowed down to the Tiger Cat and Ferris IS 700Z, but this thread is definitely making me shy away from the Tiger Cat.