Scary experience/neighbors dog

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #11  
Try carring bear spray with you next time and do it everyday for a week till the dog gets the hint:)

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #12  
Animal control should have done something. At least some documentation should have been started. Guess the city or the county had no leash law. I would have done the same thing. Pepper spray also works good on dogs to make them go away. Tasers also work good. Makes them yelp and run off. I am glad everything worked out.

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #13  
If something ever did happen to your family, god forbid, just sue the **** out of the town and the dog owners, they will change their laws quickly. I had a great dane come out at my wife, child and my self. We were pulling my kid in a red wagon , talk about meals on wheels. Fortunately a lot of screaming scared the dog away. Their are five of us that take walks now, my wife, myself, two kids and S&W (permit and all). I bet that dog will not bother you now. They are smarter than most people think. He has you families scent, and it means big head ache.

puck

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #14  
What an ordeal! A family should be able to walk down the street with getting harassed by another man or beast. For a single dog to be agressive to two people clearly shows this dog; Is a very violent dog and has no idea where the property line is he's protecting. Even though I have 20 ac, my dogs have been trained to think we a 5 ac just around the house! Stray dogs visit often, but my dogs keep them at bay, a few hundred feet back from the house.

I would drive to their house and toot my horn. Let them know the whole story. Any person with half a brain will have that dog destroyed. If they defend the dogs action in any way, then tell them, next time it will be a direct hit. This dogs needs removed from the planet, by them or you.

Can you imagine an older couple or two boys dribbling a basket ball shouting and caring on.

In Southern, IN a Cenus worker 70+ years old was mauled and killed a few years back. There is bad owners but there is also bad dogs!

I would antaginize this dog until it was gone. Call the police every time it comes off the property. Don't worry about loosing the new folks, you have every right to walk the streets.

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #15  
You did the right thing, go for another walk, finish the job and save someone else!

How did a .45 not kill the dog?

The state rep. (Ex-Marine, heavily decorated) for my district in So. IL did the same thing years ago before being a state rep. A dog down the street attacked his 3 year old, bad, air evacced to St. Louis afterwards. He went hoe to pask a few things to go to St. Louis, saw his shotgun in his closet, walked down the street and took care of the situation permanantley. There was a police response on it, they kinda looked the other way, the dog owner sued in civil court, the jury voted unanimously in favor of the guy who shot it.
When he ran for office the first time it came up in the campaign mud slinging, I think it helped him get votes when he said to his opponent "what would you have done?"

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #16  
Good job! Next time try a body shot. And hollowpoints!

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #17  
Hi Joe,
I also have a CCW permit and occasionally carry concealed. I cannot begin to imagine the stress level you were at when you were forced to fire your weapon. It is the LAST resort action you can take. And you really had no other choice because you had to protect yourselves! All in all...that would have really shaken me up also, and it's probably what police officers go through after shooting someone.

At the very least, you got a police report done on the incident. You need a paper trail to document the history with these people in case of further problems. I would avoid them and expect more problems in the future. With that mindset, you won't be surprised, since they have proven themselves already.

People will continue to have problems as long as they live close together especially in developments. Thank God for living in the country!

Last edited:
   / Scary experience/neighbors dog #18  
JoeR said:
I was shook up for a couple of days after this. I really didn't like having to shoot that dog, but I saw no other option.
Joe

Joe, you did the right thing. You protected your family, and human life is sacred - far more than a dog's.

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #19  
Well,just thinking about this,I live in w.va. in the country,,different worlds,,you need to move,if you move up around here,just look me up,I shoot dogs.
Still thinking about the woman taking her baby for a stroll with a pistol,,like I said,you need to move,,,thingy

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #20  
Wow.

Your VERY lucky. This could have been much worse.

Too bad your neighbors never got involved from the beginning on this. If people had spoke up, perhaps your event would have never happened.

Wonder if this event now, a shooting, will change their attitudes on reporting?

Have you talked with any of them since this event?

-Mike Z.