Scat Trak 1500...is it a good machine?

/ Scat Trak 1500...is it a good machine? #1  

DavesTractor

Elite Member
Tractor
Changes often!
I'm looking to buy a skid steer here in Northern California for a few projects I have, namely moving a big pile of topsoil, some sand, gravel, etc. I used to own a Bobcat 753 and I am looking for something along those lines again. I will resell it in a couple of months when the project is done.

A fellow contacted me that has a 2000 Scat Trak 1500 (or 1550?). It has 1600 hours. He wants $10K for it. I have found very little about this brand. It appears that Volvo bought Scat Trak in late 2001?

Any comments on the quality of this machine, dealer support, etc., would be appreciated.

/ Scat Trak 1500...is it a good machine? #2  
It's not a bad machine. And speaking of, (*&$#%* I forgot to mention VOLVO on my SSL reply. **** it all.

In any case -- Scat Traks are generally very heavy and overpowered. The 1500 runs, what, a 50+ HP engine? It is a solid performer with lots of axle torque, but 10k seems a little high for it. A new S160 from Bobcat runs at about $19,000, and losing only $9000 for a machine that has 1600 hours AND a weaker brand image is asking for trouble.

If you intend to the keep the machine, it might be okay. If you decide you want to sell in the future (aka eight-ten years), you'd better hope the Volvo line does well, because if it doesn't, you won't have a market at all. Scat Trak made up about 2% of the entire market -- Bobcat and Case make about about 35-45% each. That's how small the Scat Trak brand was.

I have no idea how the reliability will prove to be (esp. with a used machine). Scat Trak used to claim its machines needed less maintenance than both Bobcat and Case, but every manufacturer does that once in a while. Besides -- because the machine is used, you never know what the previous owner did or did not do to maintain it.

Good luck, though. A third-party inspection of the machine might be worth it.

/ Scat Trak 1500...is it a good machine?
I just went and looked at it. It is real rough. That made the decision easy.

I am now looking at a 1999 Bobcat 773F, new tires and bucket, nice original paint, 1 owner, 2600 hours and he wants $11,500. That sounds like the better deal.

I will resell whatever I buy within 90 days. The initial price isn't that important, but resale value is.

Thanks for the help.

/ Scat Trak 1500...is it a good machine? #4  
Resale of the Bobcat will be higher, but I would try to find a 1999 G-series 773.

The F-series was discontinued in 1999 and replaced by the G-series. Overall a stronger machine with better visibility, more lifting power, and better operator comfort.

If you're pretty much set on the 773F, it'll be okay... resale would easier (most likely) with the G.

/ Scat Trak 1500...is it a good machine?
Your information is greatly appreciated. I might end up going with the 773F as this is a one owner very clean machine and the seller has reduced his price a little and thrown in free delivery. I had a mid-nineties 753 in the past and was happy with it, so I am thinking I'll like the 773F even though it is somewhat inferior to the G. Will it perform similarly to the 753? I see it has a longer wheelbase which should make it ride nicer, and the vertical lift should be an improvement.

I put an advertisement in a local paper "Wanted Bobcat skidsteer or similar, mid-size" and have had a lot of calls. Most recently a Skat Trak 1700 with a backhoe, buckets and forks. I think I will steer clear of the Skat Track right now, mainly because of resale reasons.

Thanks again!

/ Scat Trak 1500...is it a good machine? #6  
773 will outperform the 753 unless you work in really narrow spots and need a machine that can turn around in its own length. (773 turn radius will be bigger.)

I wouldn't see any problems with the 773. Make sure maintenance has been good AND that the person isn't just painting a pretty picture of a nasty machine. As solid as most Bobcats are, some do squeek by that are... not as sturdy.

Good luck.