School project saw

/ School project saw #1  

Grant1994

Hi everyone my name is John I am a senior in high school and I am using my dads account to ask you guys a few questions. I am planning in doing a performances based class which is where I just get to study whatever I want and do a project for my final grade. Well I love chainsaws and all outdoor power equipment and I am planning on researching all about small 2-cycle engines and learning as much about them and how to fix them as I can. My plan was to go online to either Craigslist or eBay and find a stihl professional saw that is not working or not built and buy it cheap an repair it to working condition for my final project. However since I also plan on using this saw I want a good one so can anyone recomend a goo all around stihl pro model saw?

/ School project saw #2  
Hi everyone my name is John I am a senior in high school and I am using my dads account to ask you guys a few questions. I am planning in doing a performances based class which is where I just get to study whatever I want and do a project for my final grade. Well I love chainsaws and all outdoor power equipment and I am planning on researching all about small 2-cycle engines and learning as much about them and how to fix them as I can. My plan was to go online to either Craigslist or eBay and find a stihl professional saw that is not working or not built and buy it cheap an repair it to working condition for my final project. However since I also plan on using this saw I want a good one so can anyone recomend a goo all around stihl pro model saw?

A good all around saw is an 036. Parts availability is important for you so whatever old Sthil you choose, be cognizant of that. Sthils that are larger are the 038 magnum the 044 and 046. The last two are a bit lighter than the magnum which is a very powerful saw. The last group is a heavy saw for all day use. You can't go wrong with the 036 unless you are always cutting big timber and you want an over 30" bar.

/ School project saw
I definatley don't need to be running anything bigger than a 24" it at most will an 036 be able to pul that? And yes I have a few small engine shops and multiple stihl dealers around me as well as the Internet so I shouldn't have a problem getting the parts as long as they are available.

/ School project saw #4  
Check the local saw shop. I got a basket case 024 Stihl for $50. Needs seals and rings.

/ School project saw #5  
I definatley don't need to be running anything bigger than a 24" it at most will an 036 be able to pul that? And yes I have a few small engine shops and multiple stihl dealers around me as well as the Internet so I shouldn't have a problem getting the parts as long as they are available.

The 036 is better suited for 16- 18" bar. Depends on why you need a 24" bar. If its for reach, the 36 will handle it. If its for burying full length in hardwoods, you'd be better off with the 040 models as you may not get full oiling with the 036 on such a long bar. The 038 Magnum will pull a 24" bar all day long but an 044 weighs about the same as the 038 but gives more power.. Some Sthils are harder to get parts for than others. The 036,38, and 44 models were all pretty popular so parts should be no problem. I used to cut wood for a living. Very rarely did I venture into the woods with anything more than a 20" bar which would be the most bar I'd put on an 036. If I knew I was cutting a series of 30" or more timber or stumps, then I'd grab one of my larger saws. A good all around saw is the 036 with an 18" bar. If you need to always use a 24" bar or simply want a saw to run a 24" bar, jump to the other saws mentioned

/ School project saw #6  
Another vote for the 036, 044, and 046 IF it must be a stihl.

Which makes me want to ask, what about dolmar, husqvarna, etc.

Those saws are just as good in the "pro" category, but typically priced less in non-running condition.

At least around here, people thing stihl is spelld "gold" and they want an arm and a leg for a non-running saw. And no matter the brand, figure at least another $150 for a top-end kit (cylinder, piston, and rings). And then the time to do it right. So paying $200+ for that non-running stihl might not be such a great deal.

Another option for you is to call around to home depot that has a rental center. They carry the makita 6401, which is a dolmar 6400. They ocassionally sell off the rental saws for $200-$250 range.

And then you can get an aftermarket NWP big-bor kit from baileys for $130 or so and turn that 64cc saw into an 84cc beast:thumbsup:

/ School project saw
I'm not opposed to husky or dolmar at all I was just leaning twoards sthil because we have had pretty good luck with them. What model huskys and dolmars would be comparable to those stihl models. Also I have found one husky 55 rancher with the metal case that this guy is selling on craigslist and he can't figure why it won't run but from what he's told me it just sounds like a gummed up carb, would that be a comparable saw?

/ School project saw #8  
The older 55 ranchers are okay. But the newer 455 ranchers are just a box-store/homeowner version.

With dolmar, pretty much anything 6400/7300/7900 ore even the 5105. But those are newer models. Older, (and they are harder to find) I like the 116si and 120si. But even the 112, 115, 117, etc are all good. And even some of the bigger ones like 133, 143.

As far as husky goes, pretty much anything that isnt sold at lowes or TSC. Which is pretty much anything with an XP, and the older SE saws, as well as the 365.

Short story is, there are far too many good ones and far to many not-so-good ones to list them all. So best advice is IF you see one you think you want, research it first, check parts avalibility, and ask us here and we can tell you if it is a keeper.:thumbsup:

/ School project saw #9  
Husky 55 could be open port or closed port 45mm or 46mm bore. Good saws and cheap to work on. Just going to list some others I would go for to learn on, husky 50 51 242 246 346 357 257 262 362 365 372 371 268 266 272 just to name a few

Stihl 024 026 036 034 034 super 361 044 046

Dolmar I dont know older ones and only older ones I had was 3 166. 6400 7300 7900 5100 5105

Poulan 330 335 305 3000 3450 3750 365 3300 4200 5200 4900 415 425 475 505 to name a few

Partner 500 5000 5000+ 550 7000 P100

/ School project saw
I'm glad to know I have so many options! I guess my next step will be to shop around do some research and I'll run my options by you guys before buying! Another question I have is can anyone out there give me a list of the tools I wil absolutley need to work on a chainsaw. I'm sure I have most of them but I bet there are a few I don't even know exist?