Mowing Scientific experiment - waxing mower deck.

/ Scientific experiment - waxing mower deck. #31  
Yesterday evening, I was doing some maintenance to the BCS (changing engine oil, oiling mower spindles, and changing mower deck gear oil). While the fluids were draining, I also got to tinkering with an old grease gun of my grand-dad's that just got found in the back of the garage. The gun's a beaut, but it was full of hardened old grease.

Well, the bottom of my mower deck was mighty cruddy from a couple of years of neglect. So then I got to scraping off the grass and bits of rust.

Then I went back to getting that old grease out of the gun.

Then a thought occurred. Not sure yet if it was a smart one... I had to do something with the grease, so why not rub it onto the bottom of the mower deck? I figured it would be a good interim rust protectant until the fall, when I could use a rust-bonding primer and then a hard enamel, as recommended above.

Well, once the grease was rubbed on (it was so hard that it felt more like wax than grease), i got to wondering whether it would help keep the bottom grass-free, or instead just collect grass /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
So I figured I'd search TBN to see what else goofballs like me had experimented with.

Good to know that others have tinkered along the same lines. When I get the mower back out for (highly unscientific) experimentation, I'll let folks know what happens.

cheers,
-otus