Scorpion/Mahindra VS Branson/Century

/ Scorpion/Mahindra VS Branson/Century #1  

rback33

Veteran Member
As an relative newcomer to the compact tractor world ( I have yet to buy my own though), I am noticing that these four tractors all appear to be very, very similar. Can someone tell me what the major differences are besides price?

/ Scorpion/Mahindra VS Branson/Century #2  
S/M made by TYM in Korea using Daedong or Kubota engines.
B/C made by Kukje in Korea using Kukje or Yanmar engines.
All four are good values IF you have a good dealer (like any other brand...)
Mark
mahindra
TYM/Scorpion
branson
century

/ Scorpion/Mahindra VS Branson/Century #3  
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have a TYM T-300 HST that I am very pleased with. I elected the HST since I do a tremendous amount of back and forward operations. I have used it w/ a 5' bb and teeth. It preformed admirably. The controls are well placed.

I can not comment on the fel and bh as they have not arrived at the dealers yet. I am getting the GB 2130 fel and the GB 752 sub-frame bh.

TYM was a good choice for me.

Richard

/ Scorpion/Mahindra VS Branson/Century #4  
Welcome to tbynet--you've come to the right place. This is kind of a hard question to answer, beyond generalities like what Mark mentioned above. Basially tym=Mahindra and Branson=Century, with some exceptions as far as attachments are concerned. It would help to know what your planned uses are and perhaps to have some more specific questions. I, and everyone else on tbynet that I know of, would second Mark's comments about the dealer--go to all the dealers and drive all the tractors. That should help narrow things down a bit. All are good units and good values. Price can vary a lot regionally so you really need to get serious quotes from your dealers and not go by what you may find on the net. What's cheaper in Central Virginia may be more expensive in Massachusetts.

As for the differences between the 2 lines, Branson/Century do not yet offer as extensive a line as Mahindra, which makes compacts and utilities. Not all Mahindra tractors have TYM equivalents. This is because they are not all made in Korea--some are made in India. Another difference is that B/C do not offer hydrostatic transmissions yet--synchro shuttle is what comes standard. I think B/C have a few more standard bells and whistles but Mahindra/TYM offer more options.

I think these lines are fairly equivalent when looking at value and performance in the 28-45 hp range. If you want bigger or smaller, B/C are not offering these yet, though I hear the larger units are in the pipeline.

This means, as mentioned earlier, it boils down to 1) dealer 2) price 3) your personal taste. I suppose 2 and 3 could be reversed depending on your budget and how much of a difference there is. Of course the first step is to assess your needs, which we can't do until we know more about your land and what you want to do with the tractor. Fill us in!

/ Scorpion/Mahindra VS Branson/Century #5  
Thanks Jonathan, you saved me all that typing. I will add a little. The TYM vs. Kukje (C-B) are pretty close. Factors such as dealer/distributor and price will be as much a part of the decision as the tractor itself. There will probably be things you like and don't like about all of them. One nice fellow from Texas just bought a Kioti over a Branson because his wife couldn't push the clutch pedal all the way down. I personally don't agree with that and think he gave up too much. However, in the bewilderment of models and options, it's not surprising such a small feature would change/make a purchase decision. I would say if in the market for a utility tractor, American Jawa (Century) also markets Zetor. The Mahindra Utilities (00 series) are Indian made, so they only have the branding and distributor in common. Branson is strictly Branson CUT, as of yet they don't market a utility tractor. I second Jonathan's request: What do you intend to use it for and how large is your property?
Pacesetter

/ Scorpion/Mahindra VS Branson/Century
My problem seems to two fold. First I only have around 5 acres to deal with. Most of which is consumed by buildings or fenced in. Now, one thing I would use it for is for cleaning horse crap out if our barn. I have done some looking and it appears that I am going to be limited somewhat by where i can maneauver due to posts and walls, so the smaller the better. Now on the other hand most of what we feed is is round bales. It is much more economical to fork off of these, but sometimes I need to move them to a different area of the yard, so now I need a bigger one. Dang... guess I need two tractors! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Scorpion/Mahindra VS Branson/Century #7  
If you only need to move the bales around,and they are not stacked on top of each other. It can be done with a 3pth bale spear if your loader is too light to handle them.

/ Scorpion/Mahindra VS Branson/Century #8  
I think Woodbeef's got the right idea. I would get the smallest hydro tractor that has sufficent 3-PT lift capacity for the bales. For this purpose I would check out the Kioti CK20/hydro. Not sure on the specs, but if any compact has the 3-PT capacity for bales, it should be that one. Regretfully, I think even the Mahindra 2810/hydro is too big for your barn use.
/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Pacesetter

/ Scorpion/Mahindra VS Branson/Century #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( some are made in India )</font>

Thanks for catching my incomplete info /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I assumed he was talking about the Korean ones....

You know what happens when you ASSUME, don't you: sometimes you are wrong.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark

/ Scorpion/Mahindra VS Branson/Century #10  
Mahindra has a small 23 hp unit now, too, with HST. The advantage to Kioti and Mahindra over the big three is the weight. M's unit weights over 3000 pounds. Check it out. New 23 hp Mahindra