Scraper pan

/ Scraper pan #11  
That is some top rate fabrication. Pics in action would be great.. Nice job

/ Scraper pan
Well I just tried it out for the first time today and it works great. It will move alot of dirt pretty fast. It grades,dumps and spreads very nice. I'll get some action picture this weekend.

/ Scraper pan #13  
Did you build it from plans, pictures, or just out of your head? Sure looks nice with all that fancy paint! I am glad you included the pre-paint pictures also, as that is how most of my stuff looks!
David from jax

/ Scraper pan #15  
the pan looks great.

make shure to post a vid of your new pan stopping that riding lawnmower dead in its tracks. ;)

(seriously, unless your scraping up sand off of pavement, i dont see how in the world your gonna manage enough HP and traction to make it work. my data points, common setup around hear, quadtrack 450hp case with dual 10' cut pans, =22hp/foot of cut)

/ Scraper pan #16  
The big boys are closer to 45 hp/foot of cut since they don't fill both scrapers at the same time. With tandems, they fill the front pan first, pick it up, and then fill the second. The tongue weight of that first pan pins the rear tires to the ground, very little slippage.

That said, they're also filling 18 yard pans in just about any soil type. That last couple yards when it's heaped up in the pan is what usually drags the tractor to it's knees.

A lot has to do with blade angle, depth of cut, etc. As long as you're not too aggressive with the cut depth, you shouldn't be much worse than digging with the loader bucket. Probably better since tractors are designed to pull more so than push.

/ Scraper pan #17  
A lot has to do with blade angle, depth of cut, etc. As long as you're not too aggressive with the cut depth, you shouldn't be much worse than digging with the loader bucket. Probably better since tractors are designed to pull more so than push.

perhaps it will cut better than a box blade, but in my IL soil. without rippers, an 1.5" cut on my 5' BB will bring my little tractor to a standstill.

/ Scraper pan #18  
That said, they're also filling 18 yard pans in just about any soil type. That last couple yards when it's heaped up in the pan is what usually drags the tractor to it's knees.

speaking of which theres nothing quite like the sound of a 450hp diesel loading up, hearing those turbos whine, watching and listing as the forward movement gets slower and slower and that diesel groans more. I love watching those things work!:D

/ Scraper pan #19  
What do you guys think of my scraper pan I've just completed building. It took me about a month and half to build. Here are some finished and some build pictures

Very nice work ... Couple of questions

- How wide is hopper?
- How much to you reckin it holds?
- What did you do to prep the steel before you painted it?
- Do you really need the apron?
- Does the apron help more on making a smooth "discharge" of the dirt?
- Given the fantastic job you did, was it just easier to make the apron lift with the single cylinder lift vs doing it like this one?(similiar to how you did the rear) Hoelscher Commercial Products - DB Scraper

This was going to be my winter project. You have set the bar pretty high!

For everyone else, here is a video of a small scraper in action: http://www.hoelscherinc.com/indexdirt.htm

Last edited:
   / Scraper pan #20  
speaking of which theres nothing quite like the sound of a 450hp diesel loading up, hearing those turbos whine, watching and listing as the forward movement gets slower and slower and that diesel groans more. I love watching those things work!:D

It takes a certain skill to run those things, that's for sure. Got a chance a couple years back to play for a couple hours with a Deere 9520 and an 18 yard pan with a 12' cut. You learn quick that if you try to watch the tachometer to see when the load is too much, you'll kill it for sure. By the time the electronics react to display the drop in rpm, it's too late. You pretty much have to use your ears and feeling to keep them right on the edge to fill the pan as quick as possible. Got pretty good at it during that short time. I'd have been ok at a job just needing dirt moved from 1 place to another, didn't quite get the control down to leave the cut and fill very flat and smooth though...