Screening Plant Project

/ Screening Plant Project #51  
I had several hundred of topsoil that was grubbed off the land at my girlfriends cabin that was mixed with tree stumps, roots and rocks. All this wonderful topsoil was trucked away and dumped in a pitt. I saw AK's screener and thought it was a wonderful idea to recover this soil rather than pay $300 a tandem for topsoil.

I added a few touches to the screener in order to pick up and move the screen with my JD 2210. Still a few bugs to work out and have to add wings to get rock, sticks, etc from hitting the motor,

Overall I am pretty pleased up to this point

Very nice job. I saw a manufactured one that sits higher but has a sled under the screen for the good loam to slide off into a pile and the same for the rocks/debries farther away.

/ Screening Plant Project #52  
I had several hundred of topsoil that was grubbed off the land at my girlfriends cabin that was mixed with tree stumps, roots and rocks. All this wonderful topsoil was trucked away and dumped in a pitt. I saw AK's screener and thought it was a wonderful idea to recover this soil rather than pay $300 a tandem for topsoil.

I added a few touches to the screener in order to pick up and move the screen with my JD 2210. Still a few bugs to work out and have to add wings to get rock, sticks, etc from hitting the motor,

Overall I am pretty pleased up to this point

Caper90,

What sizes of steel did you use, and for what parts? It looks mostly like 2x2 HSS, but segments look a bit bigger (maybe 2x3 or 2x4).

What about on the screen, did you use HSS or Angle Iron?

/ Screening Plant Project #53  
My entire screener is built from salvaged scrap metal. I went to the local tractor dealer and they were going to throw out all the metal frames that the tractors are shipped on prior to being assembled. It is mostly 2x2 tubing with some 1x2 tubing for bracing.
The screen itself was saved from the scrap yard, it was off an industrial screener and was cut up in sections. I build the frame for the screener out of the 1x2 tubing and welded the pieces of screen to it, then I put angle iron around the edges to lock it down so it would not vibrate free. The segments look bigger just from the angle the photo was taken.
I have screened a lot of dirt with this and have not had an issue with structure or welds. (blew the motor - my own fault for not checking the oil level).
I plan on making a slight change in the design some day. I would get a off balance weight on each side of the screen to maximize the vibration, I found that with the weight on one side it was not vibrating as much as i would like, I messed around with different amounts of weight but still need that extra bit of vibration.

If you have any other questions, fire away. Hope this helps

What sizes of steel did you use, and for what parts? It looks mostly like 2x2 HSS, but segments look a bit bigger (maybe 2x3 or 2x4).

What about on the screen, did you use HSS or Angle Iron?[/QUOTE]

/ Screening Plant Project #54  
how about using an axle all the way though from one tire to the other and fixing your pulley to it. then add a shaker weight to the center. you could raise and lower the angle without having to adjust the belts and both sides would be shaken through the axle. just a thought.

/ Screening Plant Project #55  
Hello akpilot...

I have read with interest your vibratory screen construction. I have been looking into a similar project. My inspiration is from YouTube videos of "Dick Searle" screeners, based in England. I have scrutinized his design. His motor drives an axle of probably 1.5-2 inches in diameter that spins an off centered weight that I believe is mounted in center. The bearings supporting this large of an axle with all of the vibration stress are huge. He sandwich bolts the screen to the screen frame.

Another resource I have been reading is:

Screening & Feeding

There is alot of chitchat about screen sizing, table sizing, motors, off center weights, angle of vibrating table, etc. Reading this site, I though it would not be practical for an individual to construct a vibratory screen that would not self destruct from all of the vibrations. But you have apparently hit the sweet spot. I was seriously considering building a trommel instead, to avoid the stresses in the system from the vibrations as the web site talks about.

Anyway, did you think about putting the table on front and back tires, instead of front tires and rear springs? There is another youtube video of a vibration screen using front tires like your design with rear springs. What is the screen size you are using. Dick Searle uses 15 mm as a universal screen, but goes down to 9 mm and 5mm for finer output.

I would enjoy seeing more pictures and if possible a video of your machine in action.

Thanx again.

/ Screening Plant Project #56  
Hello Caper90

Your design appears to work well. What are you supporting the rear of the screen table with...springs, rubber mounts? What is the mechanism of your off centered weight to create the vibration. What size of motor are you using.

Thanx

/ Screening Plant Project #57  
The back of screen table is supported with 2 coil springs off of a small car, they were cut down so they were not so high. They are just sitting in a piece of pipe on the bottom and I used the rubber bushings off the car for the top part as they sat in perfect. The mechanism I currently have for vibration is an old impeller off a snowblower with weights on one side to make it off balance, I made sure to put a housing around it so I did not have to dodge flying rocks if they landed on the impeller. As mentioned in an earlier post, I would go with a counter weight on each side to add more vibration. The motor is just a 8hp snowblower motor.

Modifications will be made this summer. I'll post new pics when I finish them.

Hello Caper90

Your design appears to work well. What are you supporting the rear of the screen table with...springs, rubber mounts? What is the mechanism of your off centered weight to create the vibration. What size of motor are you using.

Thanx[/QUOTE]

/ Screening Plant Project #58  
AK Pilot, Very nice build, you have my wheels turning, I too am need of a screening plant. One question. I was thinking instead of using belts and your weighted vibration mechanism, I would try mounting a flywheel on the motor with a solid arm mounted with a bearing off center on the flywheel say an inch or so. As the flywheel spins the arm would have 2 inches of travel back and forth in a cam type action. The other end of the arm would be mounted solid to the shaker table with a heim type joint. With your experience with your build what are your thoughts?

/ Screening Plant Project #59  
I'm late in reading this screener build and thread. Saw a couple of comments and questions relating to springs for the screener so I thought I would re-post my video on my homemade screener where I used sections of car tire for both springs and hinges. The ideas has been working great without any problems related to the use of tires.

/ Screening Plant Project #60  
IMG_00000380.jpgIMG_00000325.jpgIMG_00000391.jpgIMG_00000389.jpgIMG_00000389.jpgAKpilot,
I followed your teachings for some time and others who contributed on this post as well.
Copied your design and like yours, works very well, here are a few shots...

Dan