scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #52  
Anybody with input on that? I got R4 tires on mine, worked great for all the brush/tree/dirty work I had to do on my property. But now that I got that mostly done, the GC is now used more for mowing, yet I find the ride sux on my uneven ground. Compared to it, my garden tractor is way more comfortable for mowing, so I find myself using it more, even though the Massey's mower deck is way more capable. I was looking to improve that, wondering about swapping tires.
Iv had turfs and bar treads (~ R1) on my BX1500. The bar treads are much more cushy. Sold the turfs.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #53  
Iv had turfs and bar treads (~ R1) on my BX1500. The bar treads are much more cushy. Sold the turfs.
I swapped from r4 to r1 on gc2400 and the r4 were a little smoother ride when mowing.
maybe r4 being stock 4 ply and r1 being 10 ply has something to do with it though.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #54  
Yeah, 10 ply is going to make for a verry stiff carcass. On a 1500# tractor it would not flex much. - My tires were both OEM std 4 ply options

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #55  
Yeah, 10 ply is going to make for a verry stiff carcass. On a 1500# tractor it would not flex much. - My tires were both OEM std 4 ply options
I did have chance to mow with r4 on one lawn and another gc with turf tires about 5 weeks ago, saw very little difference between the 2 but was on fairly smooth lawn and not my old cow pasture/hay field.
honestly, IMO, r4 are good tires if not doing super smooth finish mowing (and anyone wanting that would use a Z) but I needed the dig and get-gone that r1 offers.
posted here

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #56  
The thing that favors smoothness with R1 vs R4 or turf of comparable carcass stiffness is the small pressure points of the Ags. The carcass area between bars only touches down after the bar area deflects - or penetrates the surface slightly in the case of dirt or dense turf, or both effects together additively. This 2 stage contact smooths the ride a little.

Last edited:
   / scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14
Well guys, I followed Dmacleo's advice, decreased the tire pressure to 15 psi front and rear. It does help, yep! 🤘🤘

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14
Oh and guys, I started taking a hard look at stand on mowers, watched a ton of youtube reviews, and went to demo a Toro Grandstand (that thing is awesome). The top brands are so pricey though, and used ones are high hour and beat to crap by landscaper companies, so don't wanna buy a basketcase.

So looking at budget ones, I narrowed it down to Bradley or a Wright Stander B, both came with pretty good reviews. Yesterday, I pulled the trigger on a 48" Bradley! I got it at a great price ($4,800 out the door, w/ liftgate delivery), but unfortunately will be waiting months on delivery, boo!

So looks like my first mow with it will be spring 2022, but good things come to those who wait. Between a 48" stander and 60" on the Massey, that's gonna work out real nice for my needs.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #59  
I'd try 15 both and check for too much flexing, if not a lot of sidewall flex should be good. then maybe try 10psi watch for the same. would not go under 10 personally.
I’m trying that now.

Also, just like any vehicle, follow the vehicle manufacturer recommended tire pressure, not the Maximum printed on the tire. That’s almost a guarantee for a rough ride and center wear.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #60  
irony....I need to start testing specific pressures in the 10ply R1 on rear now. gonna start test at 22 and test in multiple scenarios.