SCUT vs. CUT turn radius

/ SCUT vs. CUT turn radius #1  

mikefd

Tractor
John Deere 2032R
For anyone who has owned both little SCUTs (e.g. JD 1 series, Kubota BX), not so little SCUTS (e.g. JD 2025R, Kubota B series) and larger CUTs, what is the actual real world difference in maneuverability? Turn radius specs don't seem to change that much (e.g. 7.4' for 1 series vs 7.7' for 2025r). I'm not interested in split break turning in place, but actual turning while moving, getting around stuff, turning around in a smaller space, etc.

/ SCUT vs. CUT turn radius #2  
Not much difference at all between scut and smallest cut, I've had both and would suggest if that is only consideration for purchase between the two sizes don't worry about it. There can be a difference in the largest cuts.

/ SCUT vs. CUT turn radius #3  
Check threads by JOHNTHOMAS if he doesn't respond he has owned several BXs and Bs and recently added an L.

/ SCUT vs. CUT turn radius #4  
Not much difference at all between scut and smallest cut, I've had both and would suggest if that is only consideration for purchase between the two sizes don't worry about it. There can be a difference in the largest cuts.

Depending on brand and model, a SCUT will turn a bit tighter.

The big difference is in tire size, Yards are for SCUT's, Land is better with a small CUT.

/ SCUT vs. CUT turn radius #5  
One of the big reasons I chose the 2000 NH TC45D when new was the SuperSteer option, which did allow for a tighter turning radius than the green or orange tractors of the day. However, my understanding is the newer LS sourced NH Boomer tractors no longer offer this feature. I found the tighter turn radius to be a definite benefit, particularly when mowing. Vic

/ SCUT vs. CUT turn radius #6  
For anyone who has owned both little SCUTs (e.g. JD 1 series, Kubota BX), not so little SCUTS (e.g. JD 2025R, Kubota B series) and larger CUTs, what is the actual real world difference in maneuverability? Turn radius specs don't seem to change that much (e.g. 7.4' for 1 series vs 7.7' for 2025r). I'm not interested in split break turning in place, but actual turning while moving, getting around stuff, turning around in a smaller space, etc.

Turning radius doesn't tell the whole story, because it is measured to the inside wheel. But the size of the tractor itself has to be taken into account. The little SCUT's are similar in physical size to a lawn tractor; a big CUT can be the size of a full-sized pickup truck... obviously it won't wiggle into the same small spaces. Once you kick some tires and test drive a few, you should get some sense of how different models might work on your own property. If you're fortunate, you might even find a dealer that would demo a unit at your place.

/ SCUT vs. CUT turn radius #7  

B Series Kubota JD2 Series are little CUT's not a SCUT, It has little to do with weight, loader capacity etc, but more tire size and full CAT 3pt ability. Then there is Mahindra who originally called the Max26/28 a SCUT, later referring to it as a "Midi" whatever that is. The MAX 24 & Emax blur the line between SCUT and CUT.

/ SCUT vs. CUT turn radius
It has little to do with weight, loader capacity etc, but more tire size and full CAT 3pt ability.

Does a few inches really make that much difference? Looking at the JD 2025r, it has 31" tires compared to the 1025r's 26" tires. That's 5 inches overall, which lifts your 3 point 2.5" higher off the ground. The Kubota B series is similar in size.

How much of a difference do 2.5" make?

/ SCUT vs. CUT turn radius #9  
Generalizations: Shorter overall length and wheelbase will likely be more maneuverable, a wider tread width will likely be more stable on hills, higher ground clearance is better for rough terrain but raises the center of gravity, larger size takes up more parking space.

A few additional inches here or there may or may not be a big deal for you, unless the greater size means your tractor can't get through a gate, fit on a trailer, make a turn without hitting something, park in the place you need to store it, etc. Unless considerations like those are at issue, I would not worry much about minor size differences and instead look at the overall performance, quality, comfort, functionality and value of the units I was considering.

/ SCUT vs. CUT turn radius #10  
Generalizations: Shorter overall length and wheelbase will likely be more maneuverable, a wider tread width will likely be more stable on hills, higher ground clearance is better for rough terrain but raises the center of gravity, larger size takes up more parking space.

A few additional inches here or there may or may not be a big deal for you, unless the greater size means your tractor can't get through a gate, fit on a trailer, make a turn without hitting something, park in the place you need to store it, etc. Unless considerations like those are at issue, I would not worry much about minor size differences and instead look at the overall performance, quality, comfort, functionality and value of the units I was considering.

I agree with this ^^^^^
My 4 wheel steer mower is very maneuverable and can fit almost anywhere. My 4520 is two feet wider and twice as long but often the height is what stops me the most. There are limitations but it is not as bad as some newbies would think. It is amazing some places you can get a large compact in.