SCVs

/ SCVs #1  

rancar

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD425 lawn tractor; JD4710 CUT; JD JX75 Walk Behind
I'll be purchasing new JD 4700 or 4710 this Spring. I'll have option of opting for 3rd, 4th, and 5th SCV. Why would I need these on this size tractor? Thanks for any information that anyone could provide.

/ SCVs #2  
It depends on the toys you might want to add in the future and whether or not you're mechanically inclined. You'd probably want at least two extra ( besides the loader valves) remotes in case you decided to run top and tilt for a box blade. You need at least one if you might like a root rake or a grapple for your loader bucket. You would need one for a log splitter. If you are mechanically inclined you can install them yourself later. It might be easier to get them now, it might be harder to get your wife to agree to the expense later.

/ SCVs #3  
Definitely get at least two now. This will allow you to run most implements that you will want. I would also consider the power beyond kit if you are ever thinking about a backhoe, post pounder, etc. that requires an open system.

/ SCVs #4  
I agree, get at least two, they are less $$ when installed with tractor purchase. I sure wish I had second one for the box blade top link.

/ SCVs
Cowboydoc -- yes, I will get the duel SCV for the FEL and whatever else I may have on the back. But, why do I need 3, 4, or 5 SCVs at same time? Help me understand if you would by illustrating how I would use 5 SCVs at same time. Thanks.

/ SCVs #6  
If you end up with an implement that has two hydraulic rams with two separate functions, say, a boxblade with top and tilt ( a cylinder for the top link and a cylinder for the side link) you don't want to have to get off the tractor and go around back and swap the lines whenever you want to move the top rather than the side or vice versa. You can buy a multiplier at a later date, or SVC kits but if you get them now it's part of the payment rather than having to come up with 500 to 700 dollars to buy them and get them installed. If you are using top and tilt you would more than likely be using your loader at the same time. Running back and forth to swap lines or having to mess with diverter valves or some other jerry-rigged setup would get old in a hurry. Look at the pictures with some of the posts that deal with adding hydraulics at a later date. Would you want to deal with trying to find a place to mount a couple of valves and try to find a way to run hoses neatly and out of the way on a tractor that is starved for space anyway? Most of these guys have done a job to proud of. I bet if you asked them, though, most of them would order the tractor with the valves and save themselves the PITA. I have a TN 65 with one extra remote, three total. I'm thinking about top and tilt and a grapple or a root rake. That would be five service control valves total. I'm a mechanic with hydraulic experience and I'm a fairly good engineer. When I finally add my goodies I'm going to try a multiplier. If it gives me any PITA at all I'm going to NH and buy the factory valves just so I don't junk up my $25,000 tractor. Of course, if you if you are positively never going to add an implement that needs hydraulic control you'd be wasting your money. I've learned to never say never, though.

/ SCVs #7  
rancar,
Personally I wouldn't ever use four or five. My loader scv and two on the back are all I ever need, so three total. Then I also have the power beyond kit as well. I really think for the most part that's all you need. If you can think of any equipment you may need later then add another one but if you can't just go with those and you will probably be fine.

/ SCVs
Thank you Gentlemen. This clears things up a bit.

/ SCVs #9  
Just to point out that your loader would count for 2 by rancar's count (lift, curl). So you already use 4 circuits, although 2 are combined in the FEL valve. So, you don't think you would need 5, but 4 is a basic configuration. That seems to be the consensus. Does that mean I should not bother with a 3 spool valve on the back, and just get a 2 spooler? Can anyone think of a configuration that would require 3 circuits on the back? Say, powered rake motor, hydraulic angle, and ??? The more I think about it, the less likely it seems that 3 individual circuits would ever be needed at the same time. Can I get a vote, please?

/ SCVs #10  
If I were going to have 4, I'd probably go ahead and get the 5th just to be sure. The one place I can see it being useful is if you add top and tilt cylinders, and still had something else that needed one, such as hydraulic rippers on a box blade or hydraulic angling on a blade.

So I'd vote for 5, 2 for the loader, 2 for TnT, 1 for the implement.

-Brad